We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental in Toronto.

Adelaide
1 post
Save Topic
Car rental in Toronto.

I am keen to hire a car to make travel to Markham, Scarborough and Unionville easier. Can anyone recomendation a hire company, positive or negative experiences? and as I have not hired a car before what should I be aware of. Thanks.

alloverta
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental in Toronto.

I would be willing to give you a serious answer, but I thought you were on your way to New York right after landing in Toronto. When do you plan to see all those places?

(These are places that toursit don't normally venture to.)

Canada
Level Contributor
168 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental in Toronto.

I'm wondering the same thing. Why do you want to go to Markham, Scarborough, and Unionville?

If you are serious, I would suggest sticking to any of the national/international chains. ie. Enterprise, Budget, Hertz, National, etc.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,683 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental in Toronto.

Go to travelocity/expedia website, and check the rates there. They only have major companies.

Hertz/Avis have the best service, cleanest cars, after hours dropoff, free 1-way rental within the city, highest rates on weekdays, but often cheapest on weekends.

Discount/Enterprise are often cheapest on weekdays, but none of the abovementioned service, but they do have 16"x4" advertisement stickers on their bumpers, and eager to upsell even they KNOW they will have to give you a free upgrade if you decline. They offer pickups, which is good.

I mainly deal with these.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental in Toronto.

I got a really good deal from Rent a Wreck. They tend to have older cars (mine was a 1998 Intrepid) and some minor flaws or quirks, but quite reasonable. If all you need is to get from "A to B", it's a good option.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,683 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental in Toronto.

>>They offer pickups

To clarify, Enterprise and Discount will come and pick you up :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
102 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental in Toronto.

How many days will you need a car? If for one day, not sure if this helps. You can always this site.

In UK, we use www.travelsupermarket.com

This is web site get all the best rate from agents and brokers. The rate is inclusive. that includes insurance, taxes.

I use car rental brokers whenever I need to rent a car, I go to broker like holidayautos.co.uk. They get you better rate than going direct to Avis, Hertz, Nationalcar etc. I haven't booked with Avis etc for years now.

In the end, you will have the car from these car company anyway but you have to pay FULL amount up front. Like hotel contract rate.

Holidayautos has become expensive and now there are many car rental brokers around.

Last time I use canadianaffairs.com and I got a deal for a car from nationalcar.

Try www.travelsupermarket.com You will see there are many car brokers around.

You should read carefully what is included and what not. Most rental car company gives you quotes with no insurance. That could cost you $25 a day alone.

Katherine, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental in Toronto.

Thank you for that information Sabola, Bibimbob and Urban Foodie. Yes, I anticipate it will only be for the day, and your input has got me on the right path, thanks again. Anne.