We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking in downtown

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
102 posts
3 reviews
Parking in downtown

We will be in Toronto for a long weekend on Nov 19.

Is it too cold to walk around downtown then? I will have a car. How easy to park the car? And the cost per hour? Is it free on Sat and Sunday to park on the street?

We are from Central London, England and very used to driving in London. It would be great if we can drive around downtown and go to places with the car.

We would like to go to the art gallery. Any parking outside?

Toronto ON
Level Contributor
671 posts
1. Re: Parking in downtown

It won't be too cold to walk around. It will probably be anywhere from -10 to 5 C.

It is not easy to park in Toronto. It will be easier on the weekends though. The cost per hour varies greatly by area. It is not free to park on Saturday and Sunday on the street or anywhere. There is pretty much no free parking in Toronto. No parking outside the art gallery. There are a few garages in the area but walking from them would be as far or farther than walking from the subway.

The transit system in Toronto is very good and its very easy to get around to all the major attactions. You can even get a day pass that allows you to get on and off as you wish.

I wouldn't recommend driving around to the different attractions in Toronto, it will cost you a fortune in parking and will be very aggravating for sure.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
102 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Parking in downtown

Thank you! It seems too cold to walk around and it's not easy to park right next to the places we want to visit. Using the transit? Do you mean buses?

Perhaps the easiest, cheapest and warmest way is just keep driving around and do sightseeing from the car!

What about the CN tower thing. Can we park next to it?

What do you recommend us to do for a weekend in Nov?

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: Parking in downtown

The public transportation in Toronto is so good you really don't need a car. I know the feeling, the car is hard to give up, but you just don't need it. Either you can walk, cab, bus, or use the subway, for alot of areas. If you look at the Toronto Transit Commission website, you will get an idea of just how massive the system is. Depending on where your staying, if you have a car, it will be parked at your hotel for the most part.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
102 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Parking in downtown

How easy to find a cab in Toronto? I know in most cities in N. America, we have to call a cab.

Toronto ON
Level Contributor
671 posts
5. Re: Parking in downtown

If you are downtown you will not need to call a cab, they just drive around. There are tons of them.

The previous poster is right, the tranist system consists of buses, subway and street cars and will take you anywhere you want to go.

In terms of parking at the CN tower, there is no parking right beside it. Pretty much none of the downtown attractions have their own lots. There are parking lots near the CN tower probably about a 5-10 minute walk away. However, these lots can be expensive, especially if there is a hockey game going on that day. Expect to pay anywhere from 15-25 dollars.

Trust us, you don't want to drive

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
458 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: Parking in downtown

I will agree with the posters saying you do not need a car in Toronto. Actually the last time we visited, we took the ferry from Rochester, NY and didn't even bring our car. We used the subway, cabs, and streetcars - and we walked. Walking will still be possible on Nov. 19th as long as you dress properly. And walking around the city is a great way to experience Toronto. Have fun!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,122 posts
89 reviews
7. Re: Parking in downtown

I will also say that you don't really need a car in Toronto, but with regards to parking, there is lots of parking. It's just, how much are you willing to pay and how good are you at parralel parking? It may end up putting you in a fowl mood spending so much time circling around looking for parking. Your best bet is to find a day parking lot (probably around $10+ from 9am to 6 pm) and take transit (i.e. streetcars/trolleys or the subway)

The temperature on Nov 19th will probably be around 5 celsius in the day and possibly rainy, so it won't be unlike winter in London. Wear a warm coat and bring an umbrella (or you can buy a cheap one in Chinatown for under $10).

www.ttc.ca

http://www.greenp.com/tpa/

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
8. Re: Parking in downtown

I will add this, for new visitors, there is a learning curve to the system. Once you do learn how it works, it's quite impressive. As an occasional visitor, with a car, yes there are public parking structures. From my experience, they fill up during the week rather quickly. Weekends have lighter use. Evenings are not as congested. It definately can be done, but for the first time visitor, it can be overwhelming trying to figure it out. If its a vacation, who needs the hassle of problems with violations or accidents. Cabs are aplenty, especially at the hotels.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
102 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Parking in downtown

Thanks for you guys's advice. We will have a car anyway as we have to drive up in Markham area for some work.

We are not afraid of parallel parking as we are from central London. We are used to pay around CAD$10 per hour in London. (But we get some free parking on weekend.)

Sure it's great to hear that lots of cabs around and we can take buses and street car. Street car? Sounds great!

Just it may rain in Nov???. I'm not afraid of cold but really hate RAINS!

We have lots of umbrellas at home. We are londoners...

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
10. Re: Parking in downtown

http://www.toronto.ca/torontomaps/index.htm

The Municipal Parking link is in the upper right corner. I would really recommend studying it ahead of time. Finding a spot on the street is really a gamble. Just below that link on the same page, is the TTC (toronto transit commision). If you learn ahead of time the various places routes etc you need to know about, and how the streets run etc, you will really ease your pain. Lots of one way streets, no left turns during business hours etc etc (downtown anyway)... Good luck, and I admire your willingness to try!