We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Only one day to spend in Toronto ...

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. Paul, MN
7 posts
Save Topic
Only one day to spend in Toronto ...

Due to time constraints, my girlfriend and I will only be able to spend one full day in your city. Scheduling our activities in the correct order is, therefore, of utmost importance. Consequently, I have a few questions that someone can hopefully give me some advice on.

1. We will be flying in on Friday, Oct. 14th at 10pm, and will be taking the Airport Express to the Westin Harbour Castle (perhaps not the greatest hotel, but cheap on priceline). We'll probably arrive at the hotel at 11pm. I know the hotel is a bit out of the way, but is there a bar/nightclub area near it that we could grab a drink at? How late are bars open?

2. On our only full day, Saturday, we have tickets for Bodyworlds at 10am at the Science Centre. We'd also like to go up the CN tower (touristy, I know, but I can't miss out on one of the 7 wonders of the modern world). My girlfriend would like to shop at BCBG at the Yorkdale mall also. My concern is that all of our activities will be so far away that we'll be spending a bunch of time sitting in the subway/bus/street car. The Yorkdale mall, in particular, seems rather far away. Any suggestions as to how we should schedule the day?

Toronto
Level Contributor
596 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Only one day to spend in Toronto ...

There is no need to go all the way to Yorkdale. There is a BCBG in the Eaton Centre which is downtown. They have all the other stores your GF will want as well.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,027 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Only one day to spend in Toronto ...

Bars are open until 2 am on weekends in Toronto. May I suggest breakfast at the St. Lawrence Market. It is in walking distance from both your hotel and the CN Tower. You'll be glad you went. Try the peameal (canadian) bacon sandwich from Carousel Bakery, a Toronto original.

www.stlawrencemarket.com

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
452 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Only one day to spend in Toronto ...

We stayed at the Westin Harbour Castle in July 2004 and it was nice. Not five star or anything, but nice. We used the subway which is close by to travel up to the bars on Younge Street.

The activities you want to see aren't that far away when using the public transportation....especially if you visit Eaton Center instead of Yorkdale Mall. My husband and I have even walked all around Toronto many times. One day we walked from the Harbour Castle up to the Hockey Hall of Fame, over to the Skydome, took the trolley up to Little Italy, walked back to the Eaton Center, and then back to our hotel. I know - sounds crazy, but Toronto is such an interesting city that we'd rather walk around then be stuck down in the subway missing everything!

St. Paul, MN
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Only one day to spend in Toronto ...

Thank you all so much for the helpful advice. We'll definately have to get breakfast at the St. Lawrence Market, and hopefully lunch at the Senator Restaurant based upon Urbanfoodie's recommendation; it seems to be close to Eaton Centre.

I'm still trying to figure out what we'll do that Saturday night.

Toronto
Level Contributor
977 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Only one day to spend in Toronto ...

After you have done all your stuff, you should make the last stop at Queen St. West. It has lots of shops there, plus great restuarants, and at night, all the bars/clubs are in that area. Here are a few suggestions for restuarants,

Little India - Indian food, excellent food and service

East - Thai, Pan Asian Cusine

Le Select - French food

Ho Shu - Korean/Japanese food

Korean Grill House - very popular

This is what I'd do (only suggestions)

Go to St. Law Mkt for breakfast, then check out the Science Centre as per your plan. After that, check out the CN Tower. Here's the decision you will have to make. It's quite pricy to go up to the CN Tower. However, if you have lunch at 360 Restuarant up there, you don't have to pay to go up. Of course, it's not cheap for the meal either. So, you have to weight which is beneficial for you :)

After that, go to Eaton Centre, do all the shopping there. Then check out Queen St. after that. (Exit from Eaton Centre Queen side, then walk west, you will past the Old City Hall, Nathan Philip Sq, Ossgode Hall, University, then to the heart of Queen St. West).