We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Canada lost baggage

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
belfast, maine
5 posts
Save Topic
Air Canada lost baggage

In early August, I booked a flight to London via Montreal on AC.

As I boarded, I was told I needed to check one of my carry-ons. I refused when I saw that they had no luggage receipts, but when I was told I wouldn't be allowed to board, I handed it over.

The flight ended up being cancelled for mechanical reasons.

I was rebooked for the next day via Toronto and gave my luggage receipt and a description of the carry-on - I got the checked bag but no carry-on; after waiting around for 2 hours, I was told it had been put on a flight to Montreal!

I've jumped through all the hoops, there is an official file on my bag - but I basically have given up hope.

Among all the lessons of what to do differently next time, number one is always have ID tags on all bags, even the ones you never expect to be separated from. (Probably a no-brainer for frequent travelers…)

Number two is, never fly Air Canada again; avoid any airline that is trying to save money by not giving bag receipts for plane-side bag checking.

bro
toronto
Level Contributor
360 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Canada lost baggage

tomtrav-without addressing Air Canada's issues, don't you think it's a little inconsiderate to bring two carryons on the plane. What would it be like if all your co-passengers had two bags also? If you would've just followed the rules and checked properly-you'd have your bag. I believe you, not Air Canada is at fault.

belfast, maine
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Canada lost baggage

Reply to BRO:

If you're only taking one carry-on on your flights, in my experience, you're in the minority. In fact, at check-in, they tell you you're limited to two carry-ons. When I handed over my bag at plane-side, I'll bet there were a dozen pieces there from the 20 or so people who had boarded ahead of me. If Air Canada doesn't want passengers to carry on more than one piece, they should say so at check-in.

Iowa
Level Contributor
249 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Canada lost baggage

<<Among all the lessons of what to do differently next time, number one is always have ID tags on all bags, even the ones you never expect to be separated from. (Probably a no-brainer for frequent travelers…) >>

One step further than that -- have ID *on* and *inside* every piece of luggage -- tags can be ripped off.

Wendy

bro
toronto
Level Contributor
360 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Canada lost baggage

tomtrav-you're logic, that if others do it it must be okay is ridiculous and immature. If you check the A.C. website (which I did) you will see that you are infact allowed two carryons. However if one is a suitcase type bag then the second must qualify as a "personal use bag" such as a diaper bag, purse, camera bag, laptop, etc.. As I stated before, I think the lesson you should've learned is twofold: 1) especially in the post 9/11 era check the rules with your carrier, 2) be a little more considerate-sure not checking your bag may save some time at your destination, but it'll make for a much more crowded flight.

Level Contributor
7,972 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Canada lost baggage

i went air canada in the summer to toronto...they lost my luggage...for two days lost ....i was told to go out and spend 100 dollars us per ticket....i did they sent me a check right away and when i got my luggage delivered to me everything was there.....but then again i had luggage claim tickets....no complaints from me on air canada stuff happens and they took good care of me and they also have very polite people working in the lost luggage area.....zzaa

Level Contributor
4,195 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Canada lost baggage

Each passenger is allowed 2 pieces of carry on baggage on Air Canada flights. The first piece may not exceed 55cm x 40cm x 23 cm and a smaller piece sized not exceeding 16cm x 33cm x 43 cm. Each piece may not exceed 10kgs. Those are the rules. There is a safety issue here. Air Canada's agents at the gate were rightly intercepting passengers who had more carry on baggage than permitted.

If you go to Air Canada's web site, it provides detail information about baggage, what to do and what not to do. Your travel agent should have briefed you as that would be part of his/her job to earn your commission. If not, you should find a new one. If you had booked directly with Air Canada, the onus is on you to find out yourself.

aircanada.com/en/…index.html

Level Contributor
4,195 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Canada lost baggage

Effective October 12, 2005, when travelling on Air Canada, infants not occupying a seat will only be allowed one piece of baggage not exceeding 50lbs. with an overall measurement not exceeding 115cm.

N Ireland
Level Contributor
110 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air Canada lost baggage

Guys, don't you all think you are being a bit harsh and nasty?

I have nothing against Air Canada (believe me, I only wish I could afford to fly with them!), so I hold no grudges. But the bottom line is that they should either be able to provide safe transport for a piece of baggage, or else refuse to carry it at all. I also dont think it is too much to ask that a label be provided if requested at check-in, although it is also common sense to label ALL your own luggage before travel.

Its not fair to say "don't fly Air Canada" because every single airline in the world loses baggage, all day every day -but you do have a right to tell people if you feel their customer service is below-standard -after all, airline tickets aren't exactly inexpensive.

I just hope you get your lost items back, so good luck.