We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carlton Street Restaurants

Kent
Level Contributor
114 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Carlton Street Restaurants

I am staying at the Days Inn on Carlton St in October, can anyone recommend any nice places to eat within easy walking distance of the hotel? I am particularly interested in Greek, Indian and maybe something a little different such as Vietmanese or similar?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,433 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carlton Street Restaurants

auntieja, here are suggestions for three restaurants within a short walk of the Days Inn.

Greek: Carlton Street becomes College Street on the west side of Yonge Street, just one block west of your hotel. Only a few steps from the northwest corner of Yonge & College is The Greek Islands restaurant. I have not dined there myself, but the restaurant was recommended to me by friends who enjoyed a meal there last week and said they will be going back.

Thai/Chinese: Jarvis Street is just two and a half blocks east of your hotel. A few doors up from the northwest corner of Jarvis & Carlton, a five-minute walk from the Days Inn, are two sister restaurants, Thai Jasmine (Thai menu) and the Fireplace (Chinese menu). The restaurant is well-established; it's been around for about 20 years. We live one block away and have been getting take-out from Thai Jasmine almost weekly for a decade; the restaurant has a lot of other regular customers. The dining room is dingy and definitely needs a makeover, but the food is great and reasonably priced.

Indian: Church Street is half a block east of the Days Inn. If you walk to Church and turn left (heading north), a 15-minute walk will take you to the Indian Hut, located just a few steps north of Charles street. Indian Hut is a family-run restaurant situated in an old mansion. The food is excellent; you can order a la carte off the menu, or enjoy their 20-item buffet which is $15.95 per person for dinner. (They have a lunch buffet also). We've been going to Indian Hut practically every weekend for the past two years because the buffet is such a good deal; we've taken a lot of friends and family there, and everyone has enjoyed it.

Other: There used to be a Vietnamese restaurant directly across Carlton Street from the Days Inn; I think it had the word "Peach" in the name. I know a restaurant is still in the same location, but I'm not sure if it has changed menus and I have never dined there myself.

Next door to Indian Hut is a Japanese sushi restaurant that offers an all-you-can-eat buffet special at dinnertime.

On Church Street at the northeast corner of Church & Alexander is Omi Japanese Restaurant, which just received a very favourable profile in the September 2005 issue of the Globe & Mail's Report on Business Magazine (page 76). I've dined there twice and had excellent lunches both times.

On Yonge Street between Carlton and Bloor you will find dozens and dozens of restaurants offering ethnic menus of all kinds. There are plenty of dining opportunities near the Days Inn; if anything, your problem will be choosing amongst the many, many places in the immediate vicinity.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,986 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carlton Street Restaurants

"Young Thailand" - most popular, interior in much better shape, on Church and Adelaide, a bit far, Thai chefs

"Bangkok Garden" - quite upscale, nice Thai decor with teak wood everything, unfortunately the menu is "Thai fusion", Yonge and Elm

"Peach Garden" - Vietnamese, across the Day's Inn, it's still there

"Saigon Sister" - Yonge south of bloor, Thai, Vietnamese, nice modern decor

"Lai Wah Heen" - very upscale, authentic Chinese, near city hall at the Metropolitan Hotel.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,986 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carlton Street Restaurants

"Ichi Riki" - Japanese, Bloor between yonge and church, popular with the Japanese visitors in this part of downtown, Japnese inluenced western decor, Japanese chefs, Live Jazz on some weekends

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,028 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carlton Street Restaurants

Going north on Yonge Street (a right once you get there) there are lots of great options:

Kathmandu - Wonderful Indian food, try the chicken makhani or the lamb sali bothi, very good with a mango lassi

Red and White - more or less a middle eastern lunch counter. For $5.25 a huge bowl of chicken shawarma with chick pea salad and saffron rice.

Brownstone, is a great place to grab a late night coffee (and has more atmo than Starbucks) also a good coffee is just south on Yonge across from College Park a place called Espresso Rose, they carry Dufflet Pastries (a local popular patissier)

Toronto
Level Contributor
977 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Carlton Street Restaurants

Whatever you do, STAY AWAY from the Golden Griddle

durham england
Level Contributor
44 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carlton Street Restaurants

The Greek Islands Restaurant is very good. It's just along the road from the Days Inn, past the subway on Carlton Street. We were there in July and it's also very reasonably priced.

toronto, ontario
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Carlton Street Restaurants

Try Salad King near Ryerson University. If you want good Greek then hope on the subway at Yonge and then transfer to Bloor East(Danforth), maybe 10 minutes, tons of great Greek Places, get off at Broadview and walk east.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,986 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carlton Street Restaurants

"Salad King" - should add that it's a Thai (and Pan Asian?) place with long stainless steel tables and benches (no cushion), with Chinese owners and kitchen staff.