We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Courtyard Marriott-Seedy area?

new york
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Courtyard Marriott-Seedy area?

Is this in a bad area? I have made reservations and am now wondering if I should change to one of the other Marriotts- near Eaton or on Bloor? Especially if its rainy- would the others be more convienient? Help- leaving tomorrow!!!!

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,396 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Courtyard Marriott-Seedy area?

The location of the Courtyard is great. You're on Yonge Street and right at the College subway station. You're also about midway between Eaton Centre with all the downtown attractions and Bloor/Yorkville. As for the hotel itself, I can't vouch as I stayed there during it's previous incarnations as a Best Western and Howard Johnson's.

It's been a couple years since I've been in Toronto, but I walked that stretch of Yonge Street in the wee hours and never had a problem.

There were a couple other discussions about the Courtyard, but I can't find the threads.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,054 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Courtyard Marriott-Seedy area?

There aren't many seedy areas in this city, you need not worry. Most of the crime activity takes place in the suburbs here, not much in the downtown area. If you are really worried, I'd stay away from going down upper Jarvis street, Sherbourne or lower Church streets at night, but the worst you'd get there is to be propositioned by a working girl or guy. That's about it.

Ontario
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Courtyard Marriott-Seedy area?

Living in Toronto much of my life and loving it, sadly I must say that its getting worse to go out at night. Fortunately the Police are FINALLY stepping up and trying to stop all the shootings taking place downtown (in the areas mentioned in the previous post). 100% stay away from Sherbourne at all costs, Dundas more or less East of Church, Church between Shuter & Wellesley. These are the most crime ridden areas if you stay in the (I hate to use this term) "tourist areas" you will be fine anytime of the day.

HDM
Toronto
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Courtyard Marriott-Seedy area?

Sorry, Canmore, but the rash of gunplay you're talking about is taking place in the suburbs.

Travelluvr, I'm a little confused by which Courtyard Marriott you're staying at but I think it's the one right downtown. Don't worry a bit. I've lived and worked in downtown Toronto my whole life and it's an incredibly safe city. Of course, some areas of the city (like the ones mentioned above) are less pretty or glamorous than others but I feel safe anywhere downtown.

If you are at the downtown Marriott, you'll be right near the theatre district (both on Yonge and on King), Massey Hall, Roy Thompson Hall, the Eaton Centre, the St. Lawrence Market area.

I agree with another poster that Toronto doesn't really have 'seedy' areas, just areas where people with lower incomes live and often these are recent immigrants who help make Toronto a wonderful ethnically-rich city. I hope you'll have time to explore some of our ethnic neighbourhoods. Have a great time.

Sunderland, United...
Destination Expert
for Sunderland
Level Contributor
6,815 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Courtyard Marriott-Seedy area?

If it's the one on Yonge St, I stayed there in July and the area was fine. We went out every night for a meal and a drink, coming back after dark and never felt unsafe. The hotel itself is great, lovely comfy beds. There are loads of places for a late night coffee around, and the area was quite busy, but not noisy. I'd stay there again out of choice.

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
252 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Courtyard Marriott-Seedy area?

My review of the Courtyard by Marriot, soon to be posted, but for your convenience a sneak ;-)

For 159 Canadian Dollars we enjoyed 8 nights in a very comfortable, clean hotel, which absolutely contributed to a great stay in Toronto.

The room:

In a big double-room with a big comfortable kingsize bed, 2 decent pillows per person (a first in our experience since usually you get a crappy pillow with the thickness of a towel), good matrass.

The room was spacious and hosted a desk with big business chair, a two-seater + other chair. Free wired and wireless Internet connection, though the wireless version didn't work most of the time. A minor gripe though.

Bathroom with shower bath and toilet, sink was outside the room. Convenient for when two persons have to get ready at the same time, awkward when you want to wash your hands after going to the loo.

A working airco, though you cannot decide yourself which temperature.

And curtains that really darkened the room. Hardly noise problems, despite that we had a room opposing the elevator.

And most importantly, it was really, really clean and well maintained. And if you want the change the bed linnen and towels everyday.

Outstanding.

Hotel:

The people hosting the frontdesk are capable, friendly and helpful. Everything is clean and looks in perfect order. There should be a swimmingpool and fitnessroom, though we didnt use that.

We did use the roomservice though. Twice we ate in (Yonge Street Grill). The food is pretty good, a very nice burger and fries, two delicious rice dishes with cocos and chicken/fish. Delivered by a very friendly guy in 30 -60 mins. Breakfast is standard not included. Not a problem, at walking distance (i.e. less than 5 mins across the street) you will already find 3 breakfast places. Either Starbucks or the much cheaper Tim Horton chain are excellent alternatives. Especially Tim Horton is really cheap. For 2 cappucino, and 3 muffins you pay about $6.50. If you prefer to pay for breakfast at the hotel is that ofcourse entirely up to you.

Courtyard is located at Yonge Street, which holds the record for being the longest street in the world. The entrance however is at Wood St. (a side street of Yonge). The closest subway station is College, a block or two away (a short stroll, 5 - 10 mins). Conveniently there are several groceries stores closeby. I would advice you Dominion (24 hrs open), which is located at Collegepark below Winners (again 5 mins away), which is also the place where you could get on the subway or enter the underground PATH. There is also a small foodcourt down there, but nothing special.

Handy if you decide to eat in your hotelroom. They do make fresh and tasty pizzas there as well and are well assorted.

However, Yonge has a gritty edge to it (as does most of Toronto). It certainly is not unsafe, at least not to our impression, but Yonge has a mix of grocery shops, sx-shops, (sx)clubs, decent bars, audio, books, restaurants (all kinds and all levels), art-galleries, malls, a Scientology church... so for all walks of life. Who you will encounter there as well. Nothing shocking if you regularly visit bigger towns, but if you come from a small rural town or you visit with very young children, you might find that a problem. If you stay south of Courtyard it is even less of a problem, since I think only the Zanzibar club is noticeably there.

Apart from that, the location is great. Basically everything is at walking distance, as is public transport.

Oh, when you arrive at Pearson Airport and you want to use the Toronto Airport Express (probably the best idea price/convenience ratio wise), that bus stops at the Delta Chelsea, which is 2 blocks away from the Courtyard by Marriot at a side street of Yonge.

Overall, the hotel was an absolute delight and we recommend it highly!

new york
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Courtyard Marriott-Seedy area?

We just got back from this Courtyard- It is in a relatively safe area- Saturday night the power went out in the grid where this hotel is located- unfortunately- the alarms kept going off all night and the manager kept making announcements reassuring people that this wasn't an emergency and to stay in their rooms. Needless to say- we didn't sleep. The power finally went back on at noon only to go off again due to a fire in the boiler room of the North Tower. No elevators worked and we carried out luggage down 9 flights of stairs.

The hotel staff was very friendly and offered us a free nights lodging if we would return.

Even through all of this I would recommend this hotel- the rooms were spacious with 2 queen comfy beds and a sleeper sofa. It was very clean and the rooms were quiet. Toronto needs to get their act together- the city isn't what it used to be-not nearly as clean- there was vomit on the sidewalks in front of the hotel and down Yonge. Yorkville isn't what it used to be- construction is everywhere and it has lost its charm. Just my observations.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
350 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Courtyard Marriott-Seedy area?

Sorry it wasn't a better experience for you, travelluvr. I usually recommend that visitors stay somewhere other than the area you stayed in for the reasons you state. Yonge St. is, well, it's the longest street in the world, not the best street in the world. I don't go there to shop, eat or stroll with a friend, so I wouldn't recommend that a visitor do so. Plus that area is IMO overrun with chains - shopping and restaurants, and not much to look at. Yonge & Dundas has been under redevelopment, but turning it into a Times Square wannabe isn't going to draw any visits from me.

In future you might consider staying at one of the hotels further south than the Eaton Centre, west of Jarvis - closer to the financial district or even towards the Harbourfront - not seedy and not run down. Even though the immediate area is quiet at night, it has easy access to the subway and PATH and both the Financial District and Entertainment District have better restaurants/bars/shops than the area between Queen and Bloor along Yonge. Hope you'll visit again!

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
350 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Courtyard Marriott-Seedy area?

and I have to add that with respect to "seedy" areas, Toronto definitely has areas that I would advise a visitor stay away from. Not the neighbourhoods that are "ethnic" or "lower income" which do indeed add much to the city and are very worthwhile, but areas that have been under planned redevelopment for years, still unsuccessfully.

I live right downtown and feel very safe in Toronto generally, but certainly there are neighbourhoods where I feel uneasy walking around alone at night and don't, and although the recent gunplay has been generally in the suburbs, there have been incidents downtown as noted above. The area east of Parliament from Gerrard to Queen has seen an increase in "small" crime like muggings lately and it's not an interesting neighbourhood to walk around in to see sights anyway. In addition, although I love Queen West as a district, Queen down to King, west from Lansdowne or so, is just not a place I would recommend visitors spend time exploring. There's just so much more to see and do than browse around in areas that have a higher than average concentration of halfway houses and drug related crime.

Just my opinion in case anyone's reading this in advance of coming to visit...

new york
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Courtyard Marriott-Seedy area?

I will definitely investigate those areas next time we come to Toronto- I was at a loss as to what to do with my teens-17,15. They were just as happy to shop and see Blue Man Group- which was excellent!. We did walk around the Theatre section Sunday afternoon and it looked very nice. I guess my biggest disappointment was Yorkville- what happened!! It's not nearly as quaint as I remember it. We did enjoy the Ferry from Rochester- highly recommend it!