We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free parking in downtown?

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
77 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Free parking in downtown?

Hi. We are staying at the Sheraton when we come to visit in august and are debating between taking the train in or driving. I was planning on parking at the lot across from the sheraton if we drive but my husband is having a fit over the price and wants to know if there is any free parking somewhere near by.

Michele

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
819 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Free parking in downtown?

I would really be surprised, if someone knew of one spot within reasonable walking distance. you even need a permit for on-street parking overnight in most of downtown. and if you find street parking overnight, in only after 18:00 and by 08:00 you need to move or pay in most places. leaves you with no place all day.

someone here might know of a more reasonably priced lot though.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,122 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Free parking in downtown?

Hi Michele;

The words “free parking” and “downtown” don’t go together in Toronto. Many areas of downtown Toronto are designated as tow-away zones, and the others marked as “No Parking”, come with hefty fines.

The Amtrak / Via Rail train, IMHO, is a very slow option. Syracuse to Toronto is about a 7 hour train ride, if it runs on time. The run between Syracuse and the border, in the last 4 weeks has averaged a delay of 39 minutes. The leg from the border to Toronto, in the last 4 weeks has averaged a delay of 46 minutes.

(Referenced from www.amtrakdelays.com)

Once you are in Toronto you won’t need your car to get around to most of the tourist attractions.

The lot across the street from the Sheraton is the Green P city owned / operated lot at Nathan Phillps Square ? (City Hall) If you leave you car there (no in & out privileges) it’s only $20/day.

greenp.com/tpa/…36.jsp

Personally, I would drive. Depending on which border crossing you intend to use, you could spend some time in Niagara Falls or the 1000 Islands along the way, or stop anywhere else that you feel like.

Best Regards

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
77 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Free parking in downtown?

Thanks for the responses so far.

Rescueteam, I'm not really concerned about the slowness of the train as we are going to be in Toronto from Sunday to Saturday so we will still have 5 full days there.( I consider the train ride part of the vacation) We are more concerned about which option is more budget friendly and dont really know if I can stomach bringing the car just to have it sit in a lot for a week at that price. Also was wondering what the price of gas is in Toronto (compared to US). Thanks.

Toronto ON
Level Contributor
671 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Free parking in downtown?

I don't know if you have check the prices for the train but it is quite expensive.

I would think it would be cheaper to drive and pay for parking than for both of you to take the train.

Gas is slightly cheaper in Toronto, its difficult to give you an exact comparison because our gas is priced in litres and even when you convert that to gallons, the metric gallon measures differently than the US gallon.

I have seen other posters on here do the coversion before but I'm not that ambitious with math this early in the morning.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
772 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Free parking in downtown?

Hi

Greyhound bus operates between Syracuse and Toronto.

Might be a cheaper option than the train and probably quicker.

Gbow

toronto
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Free parking in downtown?

Just as there's no such thing as a free lunch, there's no free parking in downtown Toronto - the underground garage across from the Sheraton is about as cheap as it gets. Gas in Ontario is about $5 a gallon. Do yourselves a favour and take the train or bus.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Free parking in downtown?

Just to add to what amphitryon said: there is a blanket 3-hour maximum on all street parking in the city of Toronto, unless a sign says otherwise. So even a small downtown side street without any "no parking" signs doesn't allow parking for longer than three hours. (Residents can get a permit for longer on-street parking in some areas, but visitors can't.)

Toronto
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Free parking in downtown?

So... Thinking a little outside the box, there are many nice little towns served regularly by via on the US side of toronto. Say you drove as far as Brantford (Along Highway 403) and then parked your car at the beautiful train station there, and took the train to Toronto. I can guarantee the car would be fine there for a week, and the train tickets would be considerably cheaper than parking. Your car would be an hour's train ride away if you decided to do some out of town exploring, and you could decompress for the last hour of your trip and miss what would be the worst part of the drive (grinding your way along the QEW is awful ~ we actually moved north of Toronto to escape that highway.)

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,001 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Free parking in downtown?

Michele, if he's having a fit over the price of parking (sorry, has he never tried to park in NYC???), then he's going to go catatonic on the gas prices. Ain't no such thing as "free" parking in downtown. The lot across from the Sheraton is your best bet for "reasonable", or the train and use our subway system, which is extremely accessible.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
77 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Free parking in downtown?

Flyinmom- we dont live in NYC we live in Syracuse and he has actually never been to NYC (although I have but have taken the train there) I have basically decided that we will drive in and just park at the parking garage across from the sheraton and probably use the car for the days we go to the zoo and the science center. Even with the price of gas and parking, it will still be cheaper(and faster) than 4 of us riding the train because it is less than 5 hours and only like 250 miles.