We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight Downtown Parking

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool, New York
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight Downtown Parking

Hi,

I'm staying at the Hilton Toronto (Richmond St West) this weekend. Is the $30 a night parking at the hotel the best I can hope for, or can I park elsewhere to save a few dollars? Thanks, Jennifer

London
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight Downtown Parking

Hi Jennifer,

First, is there any chance you are able to stay in Toronto without your car? Toronto is the worst city in Canada to drive in, which you probably know. It's pretty bad and it's a frustrating experience. The parking options are often scarce and pricey particularly downtown. I personally recommend that you avoid driving in Toronto.

However, if that's not an option, then I will say that it is NOT fun finding parking in downtown Toronto. The fees you will find at parking lots vary quite a bit. Generally speaking, you will want to find the Green P lots (the city owned lots) for the most affordable rate. If memory serves me right, it cost us about $8.00 maximum on Sundays and after 6pm. Between 7am and 6pm the maximum was between $16-$20.00.

One last tip: if you end up using public parking, be extra careful that you are observing the parking restrictions. A friend of mine accidently did not, and had her car towed away, and it cost her more that $100 to get it back.

Toronto ON
Level Contributor
671 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight Downtown Parking

I disagree with the previous poster. Driving in downtown Toronto over the weekends (provided no major roads are closed) is actually quite manageable.

With regard to the parking, you can find cheaper parking in lots surrounding the Hilton. Check the Green P parking website and also check Impark's website.

The rates will vary depending on what events are going on but it will be less than 30 dollars.

However, keep in mind, these lots will not allow in and out privledges like the hotel will so if you need to use your car you will probably end up paying more than if you just paid the 30 dollars at the hotel.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight Downtown Parking

I also disagree with the comment on driving in Toronto. Toronto is actually one of the easiest Canadian cities to drive in, with its North South/East West grid. Vancouver is much worse.

Toronto
Level Contributor
273 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight Downtown Parking

There is an underground lot across the road under Nathan Phillips Square. There's also a Green P not too far away:

greenp.com/tpa/…26.jsp

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight Downtown Parking

The parking under Nathan Phillips Square is a city-owned Green P garage: greenp.com/tpa/… . It's huge, not far from the Hilton, and the maximums are reasonable.

TuscanSun, do you know exactly which parking restriction tripped up your friend? If it's not something obvious, it'd be good to describe it here.

Caledon, Canada
Level Contributor
786 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight Downtown Parking

Your best bet would be park your car at the hotel your car will be safe and $30 isn't that bad most hotels charge $30 to $45 bucks to park. Driving can be difficult in toronto sometimes roads are closed for events on weekends as i found out last weekend, Leave your car at the hotel and take public transit to get around the city.

London
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Overnight Downtown Parking

Sorry I don't know exactly what happened when her car got towed...my understanding is that she was at a metered location during a peak period (rush hour) and certain parking restrictions applied but she didn't notice this. She didn't check the sign carefully when she was parking.

A lot of posters disagree that driving in Toronto is a frustrating experience. Fair enough, but it surprises me as it's a common opinion among people who I know that driving in downtown Toronto is no fun at all.

Liverpool, New York
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overnight Downtown Parking

Thanks for the advice. I'll check the parking websites mentioned above. We plan on keeping the car parked from the time we get to Toronto (late Friday night) until we leave on Sunday afternoon, so in-and-out won't be an issue.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overnight Downtown Parking

The hilton uses a few floors of the underground lot which is owned/run by another company(not sure which one)

On the weekends its cheaper to pay through the automated terminal rather than registering your vehicle with the hotel-

There would not be in and out privileges however-whihc you do get with the hotel fee

Toronto
Level Contributor
62 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Overnight Downtown Parking

You should be able to find parking cheaper than $30/night around the hotel.

It will all depend on how far away you're willing to park, and if you're willing to go and move your car once or twice.

The Green P parking lot across the street ("Nathan Philips Square, carpark #36) looks like it will be $10 to $15 per day cheaper.

As for driving in Toronto: It depends on what you're used to. If you're not accustomed to city driving, then you'll find it frustrating and difficult. If you are, then you won't.