We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toronto to New York

London
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Toronto to New York

Has anyone taken the train/bus from Toronto to New York?

Am considering this option but gather journey takes around 10-12 hours and just wondered how painsktaking this would be?

Slovenia
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Toronto to New York

Flying JetBlue from Buffalo to NYC is cheaper than bus/train from Toronto and a lot more comfortable.

Toronto
Level Contributor
469 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toronto to New York

My family took the train from Toronto to NYC last year. Not a good way to go. Clearing customs at the US border delayed the train about 2 hours. The passenger cars are then dropped off on US rail track and picked up by a through train from Cleveland. Overall a long and not very enjoyable ride. The train trip took over 12 hours and the cost was not a bargain. If possible, as previous post mentioned flying out of Buffalo, NY airport, allow 3.5 hours drive time/boarding allowance time from Toronto, to NYC is a efficient and cost effective way to go. The flights from Toronto airport are usually about $100-$150 more expensive than Buffalo. There are, however, many flights daily from either airport to NYC.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toronto to New York

Did the Toronto-New York thing by train a few years back and -- NEVER AGAIN---

It takes about 12 hours, but it all depends on how long you take at the border (customs) for us it was about 2 hours and that was before 9/11 ! I can't imagine how much worse the bus is. At least you can walk about on the train and there is more than one washroom.

I would suggest taking Air Canada Tango or Westjet. They have some good fares from Toronto that make it not worth the trip to Buffalo (for now).

Try their websites for fares, but I went down to NYC in December for CDN $79 one way. Not bad.

Good luck.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Toronto to New York

We did New York to Toronto by train last October. Yes I know air travel is cheaper and quicker but when travelling, the journey can be as interesting as the destination. In this case we really enjoyed this journey. After the high energy pace of New York we loved being able to sit back and relax as we watched Hudson valley roll past our window.

Seat were very comfortable. We'd paid for business class but I'm not sure it was worth it as coach class wasn't overcrowded and the seats there looked fine too. Food on the train was mediocre. We'd been warned about this in advance so bought supplies for the journey from a deli before we left. The staff on the train were really nice and very helpful to all of passengers. The guard made sure he knew which stops everyone was getting off at and as we were getting close he'd come round and advise people that their stop was coming up.

We left NY in the early moring and arrived in our hotel in Torono in time for dinner.

I do have to say though the wait at the border was tedious and the journey from Niagara to Toronto wasn't too exciting. Maybe if you can get to Niaagra, take the train from the US side of Niagra to New York rather than the whole journey from Toronto.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toronto to New York

Keep in mind that as of July 4th, Westjet will no longer fly to New York. Canjet and Air Canada will be the only Canadian airlines that will still fly there.

Get answers to your questions about Toronto