We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Desperately Seeking SUSHI! amd other restaurants in...

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Detroit
2 posts
Save Topic
Desperately Seeking SUSHI! amd other restaurants in...

Will be in town next week for NXNE. Looking for an reasonably priced good Sushi restaurant in the downtown area. Nothing upscale. Used to love Japan Deli until it closed down. Did it re-open anywhere? Also any suggestions for good Italian place in Little Italy that is not overpriced? How about Thai?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,012 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Desperately Seeking SUSHI! amd other restaurants in...

In little Italy, I like to go to Cafe Diplomatico. Not always the best, but great atmosphere and good, reliable pasta and sauces (and the best patio in town). If you want great upscale Italian food for a fraction of the cost. Try Seven Numbers on Danforth or at Eglinton and Avenue Road.

For Thai, my favourite phad thai is at Bangkok Paradise on Queen West, but if you seek Green Curry or Cashew chicken, go to Golden Thai on Church.

As for Sushi, downtown, I'm still looking for a great, cheap place that can beat Sashimi House (way up north at Sheppard and Consumers Road) and probably too far out of the way for you. Try www.nowtoronto.com for reviews.

Good luck.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Desperately Seeking SUSHI! amd other restaurants in...

You can try Hiro Sushi on King St. East. They even have a chef menu but at premium price.

Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Desperately Seeking SUSHI! amd other restaurants in...

Hiro Sushi is the best sushi that I've found in town and is reasonably priced for lunch - but I find dinner there to be quite expensive.

A cheaper dinner alternative is Ichiban Sushi at the corner of Wellington and Jarvis. Just had it for dinner last night - always fresh, delicious and with excellent customer service.

Another good Thai restaurant is Young Thailand (love Wadee Young's cookbook Simply Thai).

And if you like Asian food, you'll love Spring Rolls (although I've been disappointed with their food quality the last two times I visited... which is unusual).

MeatSpace
Level Contributor
70 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Desperately Seeking SUSHI! amd other restaurants in...

For reasonably priced sushi I'd hit the 'sushi strip' along Bloor St West, just west of Spadina. 7 sushi places in the space of 4 blocks. Sushi Generation, Japan Sushi, and Bloor Sushi are all quite decent and inexpensive. Bloor and Spadina is right downtown and right at Spadina subway stop.

For premium sushi the other option in Toronto is Sushi Kaji. It's out in the west end of the city on Queensway. Probably a slightly better value than Hiro, but Kaji only offers a prix fixe menu, starting at $65 a person I believe (then $85, then $120 I think). Kaji's tricky to get too without a car or cab though, unlike Hiro.