We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

crossing back into us

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
springfield,ma
5 posts
Save Topic
crossing back into us

Is a valid drivers license enough, or do you need a birth certificate also?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: crossing back into us

I'm pretty sure a drivers license will not be enough. With all the security measures at the border into the US. You will need to "prove" that you are American. A passport will be best, but a birth certificate and a valid drivers license might work. I know that US will require all canadians to show passports at the border soon. You might want to check with US Customs to confirm before you travel.

Toronto ON
Level Contributor
671 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: crossing back into us

You will not NEED a passport. But you will need a photo id (drivers licence) and proof of citizenship which can be a birth certificate. If you have these items you will not have problems. A drivers licence used to be good enough but now they often ask for proof of citizenship.

However, the past few times I have crossed in the last few months they haven't asked for any ID at all.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: crossing back into us

I'm actually surprised they didn't check your id lizard, I've been to the states probably 10 times in the last year, and they have asked for i.d. everytime. (maybe i look like a criminal, lol) and I didn't mean you NEED a passport, I said it might be best and less hassle.

Toronto ON
Level Contributor
671 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: crossing back into us

I was surprised too leogirl, actually I would have preferred it. I lived in the St. Catharines area for 4 years and cross on a weekly basis both pre and post 9/11, sometimes I was asked, sometimes not.

But in the past 6 months or so I have found them to be more lax. It may also depend on what bridge you cross at as well. Going over, I cross and Queenston/Lewiston and coming back I ususally take the Rainbow. I have heard they are much more stringent at the Peace Bridge. But who knows.