We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A man jumping through the TD Centre window - historic fact...

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Poland
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Topic
A man jumping through the TD Centre window - historic fact...

Recently I watched Mythbusters on Discovery, where they where testing a so called urban myth of a man, who went trough the window of the skyscraper.

The idea was that windows in such buildings are very resistent and the poor man was joking often throwing himself to the window to the very day when the window went into pieces and he died some 40 foors lower.

I was astonished to hear that this was a true story and it happened some years ago (I suppose in 90's) in TD Centre - famous Mies Van Den Rohe black towers in Toronto.

I tried to get more information, but I couldn't find any (archives of newspapers didn't show any or they are referring only to recent issues).

Does anyone know anything about it?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,158 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A man jumping through the TD Centre window - historic fact...

It's a true story. A lawyer in a law firm was trying to demonstrate to someone in his office (if I recall correctly, it was an articling law student) that the windows are shatterproof. When he hurled himself against the glass, the pane popped out and he plunged to his death. I can't remember exactly when it happened, but it occurred in the TD Bank Tower at the TD Centre (the tallest of the TD Centre skyscrapers) and happened during either the late 1980s or early 1990s.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,011 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A man jumping through the TD Centre window - historic fact...

Wow, something to ponder when having a drink up at Canoe, LOL. I suppose this is what Charles Darwin was talking about

:-)

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A man jumping through the TD Centre window - historic fact...

I also remember the story. Here's a website, with a reference of the Toronto Star newspaper www.snopes.com/horrors/freakish/window.htm

Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: A man jumping through the TD Centre window - historic fact...

What a strange question for this forum (made me smile - thanks).

Unfortunately true - happened a long time ago though, not a recent event by any means.

At the time I worked with an accounting company in the building across from it.

Story I was told the day after is there was a staff soire and the Lawyer was proving to some interns at the company on how safe the windows are and took a run for the window to prove his point (daft bugger).

Was quite the talk of the business community for a few days after until people realized he was a lawyer and then realized it was no big loss LOL (only joking to the lawyers out there).

However it would be weird if it was an urban myth - as many people believe it happened for real.

Calgary-from...
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A man jumping through the TD Centre window - historic fact...

I also believe I have heard of that, crazy isnt it.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
786 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A man jumping through the TD Centre window - historic fact...

Even if he had a few drinks, still he wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. So he was a lawyer, huh? ( insert your own comment here )

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A man jumping through the TD Centre window - historic fact...

Lol Jmat!!!!