We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriage License Needed To Cross?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
88 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Marriage License Needed To Cross?

When I traveled with my husband to Mexico two summers ago, I had my birth certificate and driver's license to show as I.D. However, the Mexican border agents very nearly did not let me enter because I did not have my marriage license with me. It was destroyed in a flood in 2001. Do I need a replacement in order to cross over into Canada and back? Thanks.

MeatSpace
Level Contributor
70 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriage License Needed To Cross?

Assuming you are a US citizen, I don't see why you would have any troubles crossing into Canada and back, marriage license or no.

I'm not sure about the details for Mexico, but your experience sounds like a shake down.

Unless...do you have two different names on some of your I.D.? (i.e. your married name on some and maiden name on others) In that case the border might give you trouble unless you can prove that both are legitimate with a marriage or name change certificate.

You also might want to double check whether you can get back into the US without a passport. I'm pretty sure you can still get into Canada without one, but I believe that the US tightened up their policies and getting back into the US easily might require a passport.

Supposedly those rules don't kick in until 2008 but I think the Customs is already giving people hassles if they don't have a passport.

Crystal Lake, IL
Level Contributor
89 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriage License Needed To Cross?

Greeneyes....

I've been to Canada at least a hundred times on business and on at least a dozen or so of those occasions I've brought the wife and kids. I've never been asked to produce a marriage licence. Whether one member of your party is married or related to any of the others has nothing to do with your being able to enter Canada. It IS, however, increasingly becoming a good idea to have a passport. This is especially true for getting back into the U.S. A drivers licence is NOT considered proof of citizenship on either side of the border.

Although you don't yet need a passport, what the authorities on both sides of the border are trying to do is verify your citizenship. If you have a voter's registration card, this will typically do the trick...particularly if you have other ID. (Although technically, for some reason, this isn't considered proof of citizenship, either). A copy of your birth certificate is another alternative you can use. If you don't have any of this, just show up with several IDs. You'll probably be okay, but the process may take a little longer than the usual 30-60 seconds.

Main rule of thumb is just be polite and co-oprate with whatever the officers ask and want you to do.

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriage License Needed To Cross?

We just travelled to Canada and they did not ask for our birth certificates, although we took them with us. They did look at and record our driver's license information. Pass ports will be required after Dec 2006.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriage License Needed To Cross?

The passport thing may not be. President Bush doesn't like the idea of needing passports and has ordered a review of the new policy.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
88 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marriage License Needed To Cross?

Thanks to all who have answered. I thought I'd explain a bit further about my experience traveling to Mexico. When I was asked for my marriage license, the agents said it was because the names on my birth certificate (maiden name, obviously) and drivers license (married name) did not match! Now, what married woman has her husband's surname on her birth certificate?! Still, when you are trying to enter a foriegn country, you really aren't in a position to argue with the border agents, so I wanted to check before I try to cross into Canada and back. Thanks again, everyone, for your input.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
4,156 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marriage License Needed To Cross?

"Now, what married woman has her husband's surname on her birth certificate?!"

Possibly in some of the more rural areas but not a common occurrence I would think :-)

Ontario
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Marriage License Needed To Cross?

Canada is great place to visit and for the marrage cert, never heard of anyone having a problem getting into Canada without a marrage certificate. you'll most likley require a birth certificate and government issued picture ID. Passport is your best bet but a drivers licence will do.

Calgary-from...
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marriage License Needed To Cross?

I would have to agree

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marriage License Needed To Cross?

In this day and age - I would suggest a Passport. Just makes things easier.

florida
Level Contributor
19 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marriage License Needed To Cross?

no,you don't need your marriage license. Just bring a passport. Toronto is an amazing city and you are going to have a great time there. If you are downtown, don't bother renting a car, the public transportation system -subway -is great and there are tons of cabs.