We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fun things to do in Toronto in Nov?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
102 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Fun things to do in Toronto in Nov?

I will be visiting on Nov 19 for 9 days. Plan to stay at Hilton Suites in Markham as I have a little bit of work to do in that area. Would like to do some fun things. Where to skate, with skates hire? No threatre as I'm from London, England. What about hockey game? Is it the right season?How is the weather? Do I need to plan more indoor activities? Will it snow?Where can I find a good spa but good price?Thanks in advance!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,028 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fun things to do in Toronto in Nov?

Markham is a little way away from downtown Toronto (think Brixton from central London) so you may want to either drive downtown or take a GO train (regional transit) from Markham to Union Station.

Toronto to me is mostly about the food and the great variety of it. The St, Lawrence Market is a short walk from Union Station and is a great tourist attracton and you can get to try our famous peameal bacon sandwich at Carousel Bakery.

Also, if it's theatre you're in to, our entertainement district is close to Union Station as well. For shopping, Queen Street West is our answer to Soho (in London) or Greenwich Village (in New York)

What sort of things would you like to see when here?

Let me know.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
102 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fun things to do in Toronto in Nov?

Thank you! What about a hockey game around Nov 23 to 25? Where and how can I find one. I'm a driving person. Used to aggressive south London driving. So, I can drive downtown. No problem. They raved about Four season hotel. Does it worth a visit or afternoon tea? Do they do afternoon tea? Thanks!

Eve
Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
125 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fun things to do in Toronto in Nov?

There are tons of things to do in Toronto. Unfortunately when you are here it will be very cold. Markham is north of Toronto. You could rent a car, however parking downtown Toronto is horrible and expensive. My suggestion would to take the Go train to Union Station, or just cab it, and go from there. The theatre is great in Toronto - check out King Street west of University Ave. The club district is about nine blocks near the theatre district and all together....which makes for a nice night of pub crawling - if you like that. You can go skating at Nathan Phillips square (downtown - just west of the Eaton Centre). While in Markham you should go to Main St. Unionville. There are amazing restaurants there, and spas. I go to Blush Spa there all the time. The food in this area is great and the street itself is full of quaint little shops, cafes and bistros. If you like Asian food (Authentic Asian food) you will love markham.

Toronto
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fun things to do in Toronto in Nov?

There is the "lock out".... no Hockey this whole season!!!!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,028 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fun things to do in Toronto in Nov?

If you would like to see a hockey game (up close and personal) the St.Mike's Majors play (junior hockey, 18-19 year olds) at St. Mikes arena (stmichaelsmajors.com) and the arena is a short walk from St. Clair West subway station. Tickets should only be about $15.

As for tea, I've heard the four seasons serves a great tea (a little pricey, though) but great if you like star gazing (lots of celebrities go there) but a great experience I had recently was at Red Tea Box on Queen Street West. They have hundreds of imported teas (with a lean toward Asian teas) and killer desserts, super atmosphere.

Here is their review from Toronto Life Magazine:

THE RED TEA BOX

Cushioned rocking chairs and settees decorate the converted coach house, which opens onto a small patio in the summer. Sandwiches, such as spiced Indian chicken on sourdough, entice; as does a salad of caramelized parsnip, squash and kohlrabi tossed in a maple-mustard vinaigrette, sweetened by a spiced pepito brittle ($10). The real treat is the lunchtime bento box ($17), which changes monthly. One version centres on roast Cornish hen with a sour cherry and raisin glaze, stuffed with apples, pumpkin seed and sage. But teas (from $3.50 a cup to $10 a pot) are the mainstay. Hot selections (give the leaves a sniff at the table) range from flat-leaf silver needle to pu���erh. Partner a steaming cuppa with a goopily endearing dessert ($6.50���$9), such as the chocolate tart scented with lavender. Closed Tuesday.

Address: 696 Queen St. W., 416-203-8882.

Enjoy your stay!

Toronto
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Fun things to do in Toronto in Nov?

Hi,

I have not been for tea to the Windsor Arms hotel (just Bloor at Yorkville), but have been in the hotel and it is beautiful. My friends who lived in London say it is the best spot (but maybe you want something different).

Markham is tough cuz Toronto has stupid traffic and it is a hike north of the city. You might want to rethink staying up there the whole time if you dont need to. The downtown area is super easy to get around on foot and by subway.

The weather here today is glorious, cool, but sunday. Everyone is out and happy. The week ahead looks good and fall is being really good to us. Not sure if you are here now.

Definitely check out the "The Beaches" area. You can inline skate there, jog, rent bikes. Very neighbourhoody and really pretty.... great houses. Also High Park area is really nice to stroll around and there is a big park there.

If you want to do any day trips from Toronto, Niagara on the Lake is a beautiful little town not far from Niagara Falls and there are lots of wineries in that area and a great walking trail along the Niagara river.

Hope you have a great time here!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
102 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fun things to do in Toronto in Nov?

Thank you so much for you guys. Very helpful information! Too bad it's a bit cold to do some outdoor things. Hope I will survive the cold. Sorry to hear that no hockey this season...

I don't mind driving downtown to see things when I don't have work to do on the day. I'm used to driving in Central London, so I can survive downtown Toronto. Last time it took me only 25 mins from Markham to downtown with slow traffic on 404 around 11:00am. For a Londoner, it's pretty good. And I read that if you pay a maxmium of $8 to $15, you can park your car the whole day. Is that right? In central London, it is just the cost to go in the central area. And they charge $10 per hour.

Thanks again. And I will arrive this Friday. Can't wait....

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
102 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fun things to do in Toronto in Nov?

Thanks for recommeding me for skating at Nathan Philips square. I don't have skates. Can I hire? Or I have to buy mine?

Which are the best restaurants on Main Street Unionville? Thanks! I will check out Blush spa! As for Asian food in Markham, would you please name a few for me? Thank you so much!

London, UK
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fun things to do in Toronto in Nov?

You can check for hockey tickets on Ebay and so on but be prepared to pay. Maple Leafs is one of the most expensive teams to watch in the NHL, but is worth it. I went in March, but paid around ��100 per ticket face value and got the tickets through a friend that has season tickets.I live in the UK and go to Toronto to visit friends about four times a year, I have friends living in Markham. Markham is quite far from Toronto and if you want to go out in the evening I will suggest that you get a hotel downtown. I can recommend the Grand as a mid-range and Soho as a more expensive choice.Toronto has lots of great restaurants and I can recommend Easy and the Fifths for both food and dance. Walk around Yorkville and go up to the CN Tower. The tour of the Dome is also very interesting. The Distillery district is nice in the summer, but I am not sure how many people go there during the winter.