We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canada and US citizens

Danvers
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Canada and US citizens

I heard from several people Montreal is not friendly to Americans. Is this true of Toronto also?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
67,568 posts
65 reviews
1. Re: Canada and US citizens

I think the only answer to this somewhat childish (sorry) question is that people can be friendly or unfriendly to each other and to people from different cultures and countries, just as they are in the States, England, France, Africa. It is not possible to make a generalisation like that about any city. Some people go with a good attitude to a new place and have a great time. Others go to a place with a poor attitude and faulty expectations and go home saying Canadians were not friendly to me.

So if you want to have a good time and find people friendly, be a grown up, be polite, well mannered, smile from time to time, take an interest in where you are and enter conversation with those around you. My understanding and experience of Canadians are that most are friendly, hospitable, helpful and welcoming.

Edited: 5:09 am, October 22, 2017
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
9,907 posts
75 reviews
2. Re: Canada and US citizens

Genealizations such as the one you've made show how ignorant people can be. The assertion is absolutely wrong for Montreal, Toronto and Canada.

Certainly anywhere you travel at some point in time you'll meet someone who wasn't as pleasant as you would want them to be and that can happen anywhere.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
67,568 posts
65 reviews
3. Re: Canada and US citizens

I'm actually not entirely sure if this OP is completely genuine or is just wanting to wind people up.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
9,907 posts
75 reviews
4. Re: Canada and US citizens

I agree, but I thought another clear but typically polite Canadian response at this stage was necessary.

One answer from Vancouver and the other from the Toronto area should show something about Canadians.

I appreciated your response.