We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Way to get from Toronto to Detroit

London
5 posts
Save Topic
Best Way to get from Toronto to Detroit

Hi,

Myself and a friend are going to Toronto at the end of march, and then from there making our way down to Detroit, but we don't know the best way to do this. We wanted to hire a car, but we are flying out of detroit, so will a one way border crossing hire be too complicated? Also I cant seem to find an appropriate train?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
10,056 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Way to get from Toronto to Detroit

You can rent a car in Toronto and return it in Detroit, just be sure to check with the rental company. One single highway (401) will take you from Toronto to the U.S. border.

You are having trouble with the train because it does not go into the U.S. on that route. It stops at Windsor, which is the Canadian city across the river from Detroit. The fare is about $125CDN. (http://www.viarail.ca/) From there, you would have to take other transportation (taxi or shuttle) to the Detroit Airport.

You could also take a bus from Toronto directly to Detroit for less than half the train fare. (http://www.greyhound.ca/en/)

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Way to get from Toronto to Detroit

This is one other way to do this. However, you have to start at Pearson Airport to do this. Robert Q Airbus connects Pearson Airport with Detroit Airport. There are 11 departures during every 24 hour period. It takes about 5 hours to complete the trip as there are stops along the way and you can spend up to an hour at the border. You can also take either the train or Greyhound to London and then get on Robert Q in London.The cost for the Pearson-Detroit trip is CAN$83 They take you through customs and immigration as well. You can book on line at www.robertq.com To complete the booking, they will ask for your flight number. This prevents people just using it as a cheap way to get to Detroit. They are also only licensed to carrypassengers to and from airports.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
197 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Way to get from Toronto to Detroit

Another option is to fly...a quick search gave me Air Canada as the cheapest option at $212 CDN per person (including all taxes). Flight time is 1 hr 23 min for a flight from Toronto to Detroit.

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Way to get from Toronto to Detroit

Also add in the two or three hour preflight book in as well.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
6,039 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Way to get from Toronto to Detroit

You can take Via rail to Windsor then change to a bus to Detroit

Take amtrak from Toronto via the USA route to detroit (longer)

You never know what the 401 will be like in the winter for driving.

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Way to get from Toronto to Detroit

Is AMTRAK still running. I don't think so. To my knowledge it no longer crosses at Port Huron/Sarnia. You have to take the bus to Port Huron and join the train there. What an age this will take! You can take VIA to Windsor, but you need a cab to the Detroit Airport. The tunnel bus will drop you on the other side at customs with all your luggage.You will need a cab from there. This means you have to have US$. At the end of March, the 401 is usually a good drive as the winter snows are over. Although this year, the weather is a lot different than other winters. I still stand by my RobertQ advice. They are geared to taking people through customs and immigration going to the airport. It is a lot less hassle that trying to enter the USA in a cab,especially since you are not Canadian. Customs and Immigration expect non Canadians to be on RobertQ buses and are ready for them. In a cab, you could find yourself required to go inside the building and wait for an agent. The cabby is going to run up quite a sizeable fare, or may just ask you to pay, and he will go back to Windsor, leaving you stranded. The RobertQ method requires you get on the bus at Pearson and get off it at the Detroit airport. And for $83 there is nothing cheaper. The taxi fare alone from Windsor to the Detroit airport is $50. (of $25 each) and the train fare is $125 each and you are still hours away from the Detroit Airport.

toronto
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Way to get from Toronto to Detroit

which car rental service allows rental from toronto, and return in detroit??

8. Re: Best Way to get from Toronto to Detroit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, April 05, 2007
Toronto
Level Contributor
977 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Way to get from Toronto to Detroit

I'm Canadian...from Toronto. I'm thinking of going to Detroit and Toledo... can I take RobertQ?

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Way to get from Toronto to Detroit

RobertQ is licensed to take air passengers to and from airports. You can use RobertQ from Pearson to go to Detroit Airport only. They don't have a carriers licence such as Greyhound does to take people all over the place. I originally suggested to the original posters that RobertQ would work, by going to the airport and going to ground transportation and booking a trip. They have no idea where you came from, but they know they are taking you to Detroit Airport, and thus when you clear immigration and customs at the border, they know where you are going. It would be a bit hard when you got to the border without a plane ticket to prove where you were going I think. In fact, I think you have to indicate to RobertQ when you book what flight you are on. Maybe to go to Toledo, you find out if and when a Miami Bus is leaving Toronto and buy a ticket on it.