We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DO NOT rent cars from Thrifty Dollar and Hertz! Be warned!

8 posts
Save Topic
DO NOT rent cars from Thrifty Dollar and Hertz! Be warned!

Do not Rent from Thrifty, Hertz or Dollar.

2 BIG Reasons:

1. rate scam &

2. Loss Damage claim Scam:

Hear my Story:

I rented a car online from Thrifty last Sept. 2016. The website indicated that if I pay immediately rather than at pick up time, I got a cheaper rate, so I went for it and paid. When I picked up the car, I realized that the currency that I was looking at in CAD was switched to USD in the process of that choosing the pay earlier for cheaper option. It was an all inclusive amount and now suddenly I still owe them Government Tax and other green tax charges. Imagine my dismay at the rental counter!! But according to the contract terms, if I cancel there and then and get a refund, I would be penalized by losing 50% of the contract amount. So I swallowed it and got on with it and took the car. Even though I picked the car from Thrifty’s website, I was actually renting a car from an unknown number company without a face so that these deeds can be remain hidden and Thrifty, Dollar and Hertz can say it is not them.

The staff said to me, “You got to be very careful on the internet!!!!”

2. At the time of the pickup, the front license plate on the car was bended and I alerted them to it and wanted to mark the car body record sheet before I leave with the car. I was assured by their staff that the license plate does not count as damage, and nothing was done. Luckily, I took a picture as record myself.

During the rental period, I had a fender bender that I was at fault, I rear-ended the car in front of me. It was very minor because I was distracted in a stop and go traffic in an hour long congestion on 401 highway. Because it was a big SUV, no damage was done to the rental car. I filed an OPP accident Report which the police officer also gave the car an "all clear, no damage" status report. Insurance claims with the third party was subsequently all cleared and settled.

When I returned the car to them, I notified them about the accident and gave them a copy of the OPP report and they checked and said alright and I asked them for a receipt that it was all right and they said that there was no need, the OPP report was enough.

However, suddenly in November 2016, I received a claim from a collection agency claiming to be working for Hertz, that I owe them over $800 in damages. I asked them for photo evidence of the damages and they showed me the exact same bended license plate, and a dent in the rear bumper. The estimate they provided was full of damages to the rear bumper which was not involved in the fender bender. The dubious thing was that the pictures of the damages that they provided had no metadata at all, so there is no way one can determine the dates when the photos were taken.

This has been going on for 4 months with these sneaky collection agency personnel harassing me to pay for damages that I did not cause. Finally, I have to go to the internet to publish my bad experience with Thrifty, Dollar and Hertz. I filed an complaint with Consumers Ontario and called Thrifty to confront them about this fraudulent charges. This is not the end of it yet, I am sure, because they said they are going to further investigate.

Needless to say, I will never rent from them again and you should not also.

59 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,645 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DO NOT rent cars from Thrifty Dollar and Hertz! Be warned!

Thrifty and Hertz are not related companies - so which one was it?

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
25,223 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DO NOT rent cars from Thrifty Dollar and Hertz! Be warned!

Actually - Hertz owns both Thrifty and Dollar ... since 2012.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
19,683 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DO NOT rent cars from Thrifty Dollar and Hertz! Be warned!

Another first time poster finding his/her way to TA to complain after the fact.

If we followed the advice of all these 1st time posters there were be no car rental companies left to deal with.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
67,094 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DO NOT rent cars from Thrifty Dollar and Hertz! Be warned!

<<I still owe them Government Tax and other green tax charges.>> All taxes in BC are added after the subtotal. What country are you from? What research did you do?

<<I was actually renting a car from an unknown number company>> Did you use a third party online booking agency? This doesn't sound like you booked directly on the Thrifty website. Mistake.

<<“You got to be very careful on the internet!!!!”>> Excellent advice and better researched before purchasing than after. Researched by reading the T&Cs of the rental contract you are about to purchase.

File a dispute with your credit card. Your OPP police report might support your claim that the rental company is charging you for "damage" that did not involve the rear ender that you had. Let them deal with it.

I might rent from Dollar, Hertz or Thrifty. I sure would do it differently than you did.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
82,837 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DO NOT rent cars from Thrifty Dollar and Hertz! Be warned!

>>I was actually renting a car from an unknown number company<<

Not uncommon at all...with a franchisee, and perfectly legal.

8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: DO NOT rent cars from Thrifty Dollar and Hertz! Be warned!

They are related companies, I rented from thrifty, but I contracted with a number company!, Now I am being pursued by Hertz about "damages" that I did not made.

Imagine my surprise and confusion too....

8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: DO NOT rent cars from Thrifty Dollar and Hertz! Be warned!

put yourself in my shoe...if you think that is good and fair, by all means...

We as consumers, if we do not expose these dirty tricks and scams, it will only make these companies more blatant and aggressive in their ripp offs.

8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: DO NOT rent cars from Thrifty Dollar and Hertz! Be warned!

What I am trying to warn people about is the change in currency, from CAD to USD in the process of payment without warning or a hint of USD, rather than CAD in the change to the payment platform page.

When you first read the page, it is all in, by the time you get to the counter it is not, and the paper work also said so. the paper work is email to you afterwards. I know there are much smarter people like you, who never get trapped like this.

8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: DO NOT rent cars from Thrifty Dollar and Hertz! Be warned!

There are so many practices that are "Legal" but it does not do consumers any justices.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
67,094 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: DO NOT rent cars from Thrifty Dollar and Hertz! Be warned!

Serena ~

Some things to know. The individual reply buttons don't send individual posts. We don't know to whom your 4 posts are addressed. One reply box will hold everything you want to say. Use usernames within that box if you wish to address someone individually.

Things to think about. You did not do any research before using a booking website you did not know. What makes you think that others will see your post and be forewarned? Posts like yours are always made after the heartache has happened.

Almost all the regulars on here will advise using the rental company's own website. No confusion then which company you are renting from and most probably no confusion about the currency you will be charged. They will also suggest a few reputable third party bookers. You find that out when you research first.

Don't know what website you actually used, but if that website is for an American owned company, they will operate in the currency of their country and charge their customers in US$.

Reply to: DO NOT rent cars from Thrifty Dollar and Hertz! Be warned!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted