We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight Visit

Which Thunder Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
La Crosse, WI
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Overnight Visit

Hi,

Family of four planning on extending our family vacation to include one night in Thunder Bay in August after four nights in Grand Rapids, MN. Trying to decide between the Best Western Norwester or the Days Inn. Looking for some opinions of the two hotels or for other suggestions. We plan to visit Kakabeka Falls and Old Fort William. Any other places to visit? Sleeping Giant Provincial Park is also an option. Kids are 10 & 7.

Thanks!

Mike

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight Visit

Mike

Can't comment on the hotels you've mentioned, but for things to do:

There's a Terry Fox monument that's a nice drive (if you youngsters don't know of this Cdn hero, have them google). Also, Mt Mckay provides a great view of the area.

Winnipeg manitoba
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight Visit

Didn't stay in hotels but stayed in some really nice campgrounds and neat places to see

Check out Trowbridge falls --kind of a neat place to bring the kids and they can climb up the river over the rocks--shallow and there is no cost if you just park in the parking lot--it is right off the Thunder Bay express near the Terry fox memorial. Also head down to the Harbour for some good pics of the sleeping giant.

Just out side of Thunder Bay is Kakabeka Falls which are very nice

another place to check out is eagle canyon--longest cable bridge in Canada (600 feet)

There is also Chippewa park with rides in the city that is fun for the kids..

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
830 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight Visit

The Norwester is on the highway coming in from the states, but is still a few minutes outside T.Bay. Nice restaurant across the street called the Neebing Roadhouse....great food for fancy dining, steak house or just bar food ie: burgers, chicken fingers etc. The Days Inn if it s the one on Arthur Street is in a great location as it's on a main intersection and in the midst of lots of restaurants and bowling alley etc..... Would also like to recommend the Victoria Inn as it has a slide and pool which is great for the kids and a good restaurant Chicago Joes'. (THe Airlane is a nice hotel as well, but more expensive.) All are on Arthur Street which you will hit (coming in on Hwy 61) right after you pass the airport on your left. Close to shopping, Pizza Hut (kids), chinese food, bowling alley etc.

A fun thing to do is go Tubing at River Rat Rentals as well. On your way to Kakabeka Falls which is a must see. Old Fort William is a good choice as well. Mount Mckay is great as mentioned above. You can also do a harbour cruise with www.sailsuperior.com. If I can help anymore, let me know.

Thunderbayite!!

Cheers

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
830 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight Visit

The Victoria Inn is just down from the Days Inn ....next block. Great place with kids!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
830 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight Visit

Sorry, when in August?...... there is also the C.L.E around the 8-12th.....amusement rides, animal shows, petting zoos, entertainment, vendors with all sorts of stuff.....etc. You can buy a wristband at A&P (also on Arthur st-beside Victoria Inn) in advance for $13CDN which lets you on ALL the rides....loads of fun for the family.

Thunder Bay, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight Visit

Old Fort William is a must! I worked there during college and it is great.

There are usually lots of activities and if you hit it on a major weekend there is usually specialty programming. You could spend the day there easily...I would go here first and then hit the falls.

2 worthwhile food items: 1) Hoito Restaurant for Finnish pancakes...the place is on Bay St. and looks like nothing special but I dream about those pancakes...very affordable and the service is good. If you are brave...try the Vili...finnish yogurt. 2) Stop at a Persian Man....it is a coffee shop where you can have a persian...only found in Thunder Bay....basically a flat doughnut with pink frosting.

A walk around the harbour front is nice...can see the Sleeping Giant and there is a local gallery there. Centenial park is nice too...good for kids.

Hope you have a great trip.

Thunder Bay, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Overnight Visit

Old Fort William is a must! I worked there during college and it is great.

There are usually lots of activities and if you hit it on a major weekend there is usually specialty programming. You could spend the day there easily...I would go here first and then hit the falls.

2 worthwhile food items: 1) Hoito Restaurant for Finnish pancakes...the place is on Bay St. and looks like nothing special but I dream about those pancakes...very affordable and the service is good. If you are brave...try the Vili...finnish yogurt. 2) Stop at a Persian Man....it is a coffee shop where you can have a persian...only found in Thunder Bay....basically a flat doughnut with pink frosting.

A walk around the harbour front is nice...can see the Sleeping Giant and there is a local gallery there. Centenial park is nice too...good for kids.

Hope you have a great trip.

8. Re: Overnight Visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:28 am, August 12, 2009