We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My new crazy idea for getting to Duluth, Minn - Toronto...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
My new crazy idea for getting to Duluth, Minn - Toronto...

So after ridiculously long bus, air and rail service between Duluth - Toronto (which, flying over the Great Lakes on a direct flight if one was available would take a little more than an hour! I've spent a day on the road, half the day navigating flights, etc...Toronto is not easy to get to from Duluth.

Then I saw an Indian Trails Bus, which leaves from Duluth to Sault Ste Marie, MI. It leaves in the evening and gets out there in the morning, I know Porter has flights from SSM, ON to Billy Bishop, which would be awesome since my friends and family all live near downtown Toronto. Since I've never been to the Sault, I'm wondering the following:

- how far is the airport in SSM, Ontario from the bus station or border crossing in SSM, Michigan?

- can pedestrians walk across the international bridge or is it like Detroit/Windsor?

- I've never flown Porter - are they pretty reliable?

- is public transit pretty good there or should I just splurge on a cab to ensure getting to the airport on time?

Thanks for the advice and help in advance! If this works I think I found my new route between Duluth and Toronto...

Mentioned in this post
Duluth
Duluth
Minnesota
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Sault Ste. Marie
Sault Ste. Marie
Upper Peninsula, MI
Michigan
Michigan
United States
Detroit
Detroit
Michigan
Windsor
Windsor
Ontario, Canada
1 reply
Ontario
Level Contributor
999 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My new crazy idea for getting to Duluth, Minn - Toronto...

Why wouldn't you just fly on United or Delta making a connection in Chicago or Minneapolis? There are several flights a day with durations of about 4 hours and the fare for a random day in July was around $200 one way so its actually less than I would expect the fare from Sault St Marie to Toronto to be.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Minneapolis
Minneapolis
Minnesota
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Reply to: My new crazy idea for getting to Duluth, Minn - Toronto...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted