We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fall colors in Ottawa

durham
1 post
Save Topic
fall colors in Ottawa

Hi,

I am planning to come to Ottawa on oct 18th and stay there for the weeeknd.. I wanted to know if it will b too late for fall colors.. if it is not late, are there any good locations for fall colors??

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,478 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fall colors in Ottawa

I think you will be too late for the peak of the fall colours but it varies every year. This summer has been hot & dry and many trees are already both turning colour and loosing their leaves long before the normal time. Like anything weather related the fall colours depend on frost to normally trigger the change, but once that happens a good wind storm can strip the trees of a majority of their leaves. On the positive side the Quebec side of the Ottawa River is mountainous and provides some great viewing of the fall event when it does take place. In general I think the best time of year locally seems to be late Sept thru our Thanksgiving weekend, which is Oct 7-9 this year.

Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
281 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fall colors in Ottawa

triphelp06 -

Yes, I fear that by October 18th you'll be a bit too late to see the fall colours...although if you were to head south a couple hours' drive - like around Kingston, you might still catch some of the tail end.

The National Captial Commission lists "Fall Rhapsody" as one of their annual celebrations and events in Canada's captial - they usually have accompanying activities in Gatineau Park, which, as noted above, is a fantastic place to see the fall colours, and just minutes from downtown. Fall Rhapsody's official dates are Sept. 29 to Oct. 15 - but of course, the leaves will change colour on their own schedule!

Once we get closer to fall, they may also have some type of "fall colours meter" on their web site - I know they have such a "meter" for the tulip festival, where they give you an indication on line of the level of "bloom". www.capcan.ca and under "Discover the Captial - Celbrations and Events" look for "Fall Rhapsody".

Noel

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: fall colors in Ottawa

During the fall, OntarioTravel.net posts a province-wide fall colours report, which might give you some ideas on where to go depending on how far the colours have progressed.

In past years it's been posted at ontariotravel.net/publications/fallcolourrep… (but there's nothing there yet) and updated on Mondays and Thursdays.

4. Re: fall colors in Ottawa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, August 17, 2009