We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Wild" Camping

Which Ottawa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
"Wild" Camping

My boyfriend and I are searching for a little adventure this summer. We love fishing as well as camping and we are looking for areas within 2 hours of Ottawa to pitch a tent on the shore and fish.

We do not with to "camp" in a camp site or anything to that effect, we would like to be as secluded as possible...

does anyone know of any areas that this could work?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,925 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: "Wild" Camping

I see questions much like this on the forums from time to time. You can pitch your tent and camp anywhere you want on crown land, but withing 2 hours of Ottawa it would be rare to find a piece of lakeshore, road-accessible crown land. Even if an area is mostly crown the road-accessible lakefront would tend to be parcelled out as cottages. And if you did find a roadside crown land spot where you can camp by a lake with good fishing, it would be in pretty high demand -- you could not expect much solitude there.

Would you have access to a canoe or boat, or be able to rent one? That would certainly open up the options for places to camp (if you're prepared for backcountry camping), as well as make the fishing easier.

Finally, you say "We do not with to "camp" in a camp site or anything to that effect, we would like to be as secluded as possible...". Should I assume you mean you don't want to camp in a campground, that is, a little village of fully serviced drive-in campsites? Many provincial parks in Ontario have backcountry (aka interior) camping, consisting of individual designated campsites on their own in the wilderness, usually accessible only by water or in some cases hiking trail. That would certainly offer you more solitude than roadside crown land. There are also some backcountry campsites on canoe routes on crown rather than in parks.

Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: "Wild" Camping

Thanks for the reply...we actually do not mind the hike it would not need to be exactly road accessible...I understand that lakes with good fishing are usually populated, however, We have found lakes, in the middle of no where on ATVs and we have camped there, they are just a good 3-4 hours away and do not wish to make that trek...really what we want is ti have 1 back pack, our fishing lines and a cooler and to cook over an open fire...

Toronto
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,925 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: "Wild" Camping

The farther north you go the more crown land, so 3-4 hours from Ottawa will have more options than 2. And yes ATVs open up more spots as well. You can look for suitable lakes on the Ontario Crown Land Use Atlas …gov.on.ca/web/…Viewer.html . You might also find Jeff's Map of Algonquin helpful, it's a map of Algonquin Park but it covers some areas a little southeast of the park closer to Ottawa, and it shows crown vs private land through shading, as well as crown land campsites and some fish species: http://www.algonquinmap.com/

All in all though you're unlikely to get specific ideas on this forum, TA is about tourism really, not ATV trails and back lakes... you might do better to try on a fishing forum, eg:

http://www.ontariofishingforums.com/forum/

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/

www.oodmag.com/community/forumdisplay.php…

Edited: 3:50 pm, May 12, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Wild" Camping

There are a couple of provincial parks close to Ottaw:

Algonquin and Frontenac, both have interior sites, that my not be totally by yourself but close.

You will need to hike or canoe.

Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: "Wild" Camping

Can you fish here??

Toronto
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,925 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: "Wild" Camping

Algonquin is at least 3 hours from Ottawa, depending on where in the park you're going. Frontenac is closer to the 2 hour radius, and all its campsites are backcountry sites accessible by both hiking and canoeing; the reason I didn't recommend it is that although they're backcountry sites, Frontenac's campsites are arranged in small clusters with a shared outhouse, so if the OP is looking to be as secluded as possible, there's no way to guarantee you won't have other hikers or canoe trippers camping right next to your site.

One place around 2 hours from Ottawa is Depot Lakes Conservation Area north of Kingston. In addition to a conventional campground it has some backcountry sites scattered around Second Depot Lake, a short hike or boat/canoe ride from the parking lot. Not exactly deep wilderness or a lake to yourself but you'd be in a campsite on its own, and the lake is nice.

Bon Echo Provincial Park is a little farther, but still closer than Algonquin. It has hike-in backcountry campsites on the Abes-Essens Trail, and paddle-in sites on Joe Perry and Pearson Lakes. But to camp at Bon Echo you usually have to reserve well in advance.

One thing is that so far we've only been talking about Ontario, there could be plenty of options on the Quebec side as well but I'm not as familiar with it. Maybe research some of the protected areas around that way, eg the Réserve faunique de Papineau-Labelle, or post on a Quebec fishing/camping/ATV/canoeing forum.

Edit: Dom G - I posted this before seeing your reply #5, but yes you can fish in all Ontario provincial parks (subject to local regs) and all campsites are on water bodies. No live baitfish in Algonquin. I linked you earlier to a map that shows fish species in lakes in and around Algonquin.

Edited: 1:31 pm, May 13, 2014
Athens, Ontario
Level Contributor
554 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Wild" Camping

Charleston Lake Provincial Park is about an hour and a half from Ottawa and they also have some interior camping. Not sure if they have any spots with only one camp at that location but you can hike or canoe in to some nice spots.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,637 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Wild" Camping

I'm an avid camper and white water canoeist. You can contact some of the outfitters, the one I use every year is the Black River inn outfitter or Pourvoirie Riviere Noire. You drive to the Inn and they will transport you up river, then you paddle down back to your car. Good fishing on the river and complete wilderness and privacy. Plus they rent canoes and water proof barrels for your gear. Mostly class 1 rapids with a couple of class 2's that are easy. stay@blackriveroutfitter.com Another would be Trailhead or Black Feather and you could join one of their week-end wilderness trips.

9. Re: "Wild" Camping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, June 08, 2015