We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Restaurant

Which Ottawa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Yarker, ont
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
Good Restaurant

I know I am starting early but just booked the romance pkg at the Lord Elgin for Oct. 8 as 40 years ago, Oct. 8, 1966 we spent the first night of our honeymoon there. We want to have a nice meal within walking distance. We don't want the total cost of the meal to be more that $200. We like all foods but especially enjoy seafood. Any suggestions as to where we should reserve.

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,058 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Restaurant

Hi sylw.

Congratulations of your upcoming special day!

I am certain you will get many suggestions from noelk and the other knowledgeable posters from Ottawa.

For my suggestion I really like the restaurants Wilfrid's or Zoe's lounge at the Chateau Laurier Hotel. Both have a lovely atmosphere and they sometimes have live entertainment and dancing on the weekends at Zoe's. It is a chic and romantic spot and I am quite certain you can have a wonderful dinner there for under $200.00.

We had a very good dinner, late one night at Zoe's last year and the food, atmosphere and music was all very lovely.

It is very close to the Lord Elgin, an easy short walk. Wilfrid's is open I believe until 10:00 p.m. on Sunday's and Zoe's lounge is open Sunday until 11:00.p.m. (Oct. 8 falls on Sunday this year). You can check the website for all the little details, plus to see what they offer as far as seafood. I am allergic to seafood so it doesn't stand out in my mind, how varied their seafood menu is, but I am almost certain there would be some offerings in that department. Zoe's is called a lounge but in my opinion it is very much like a restaurant.

Another reason I recommend dining here, is you will have the opportunity to walk into the Romantic lobby of the gorgeous Chateau Laurier and to me, it is worth it for that alone. Plus the views are very pretty while dining. We have always been very pleased with our dining experiences here.

http://fairmont.com/laurier/

All the best to both of you.

Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
281 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Restaurant

sylw -

Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary!

You'll love returning to the Lord Elgin - it underwent extensive restorations and expansions within the last couple years, really bringing it back up to standard. It's the hotel where all the Premiers stayed when the met with the Prime Minister last year.

A couple restaurants immediately come to mind - more for location, ambiance and reputation than anything else - in particular, I don't have recent dining experience with any of these, so would welcome others to comment:

Friday's Roast Beef House is a classic restaurant on Elgin Street just a block south of the Lord Elgin. Located in an old mansion, it has that old-style roast beef house ambiance.

Le Cafe used to be one of the top restaurants in the city - it located in the National ARts Centre, across the street from the Lord Elgin, and its dining room overlooks the Rideau Canal. I remember a couple years back the level / speed of service was an issue - I don't know about recently.

Noel

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,402 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Restaurant

Take a look at the menus at http://www.beckta.com/. It's a pretty pricy place, but I think if you stick to the lower priced appetizers and entrees, and the $30 wines, you might be able to come in under $200. Worth it if you can.

It's about 4 or 5 blocks from the Lord Elgin.

Yarker, ont
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Restaurant

Thanks for the suggestions. I will look at the web sites that were suggested. Have also been searching other sites. I see that the Marriott has a revolving restaurant call Merlots that has some good reviews. Thought the view might be good. Any thoughts on this location. Sylvia

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,402 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Restaurant

The view is certainly good and it is a short walk from your hotel. The restaurant got excellent reviews in the period immediately after the hotel was rebranded from Radisson to Marriott, but I haven't seen or heard any recent reviews. Some out-of-town relatives ate there last week and liked it very much, but raved more about their hotel room and the view than they did about the food.

Yarker, ont
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Restaurant

Thanks RonW. I know I have some time to decide before making a reservation. However this is Sun. of Thanksgiving weedend so will have to reserve a little earlier that usual. DH is leaning towards the good view at Merlot (his favourite wine - lol) as that is something we don't get in Kingston restaurants. sylvia

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
787 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Good Restaurant

Bonjour Sylw,

For a special anniversary you could try one of the best table in Canada, CAA gave it 5 diamonds, It is called Signatures by Cordon Bleu. The atmosphere is elegant and the food is fabulous. It is part of a French cooking school that have only three restaurants in the world, one in Paris, one in New York and yes one in Ottawa! The dégustation menu is more affordable than the carte but have a lot for yourself here is the link

http://tinyurl.com/eaoar

If you pick Merlot go during the day, the view is more interesting. Merlot is a place where we bring our out of town visitors for lunch(the one who are not foodie) the price is good, the service is good and the food is honest. I often state that a glass of merlot on your patio taste like a glass of merlot but a glass of merlot with a revolving view, a river, the parlement buildings taste more like a glass of Chateau Margaux.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good Restaurant

Le Cafe, the restaurant in the National Arts Centre is usually an excellent choice for a romantic meal. Close to the Lord Elgin. They always have a good variety, usually with a Canadian emphasis.

The big windows next to the Canal also usually give a good view.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
7 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good Restaurant

I would recommend something different. There is a Japanese restaurant close to Lord Elgin. It is Genji Japanese Restaurant located at 175 Lisgar Street (at Elgin). It is Chef Stephen Vardy (of Beckta until Sept. 12) favourite restaurant for sushi.

Don't know if you like sushi. If so, try their "King of Sea" sushi plate. If you don't like sushi, order the grilled food items from the kitchen. I like their beef teriyaki, salmon teriyaki. They are delicisous. With a bottle of cold or hot sake, you will enjoy your meal for less than $200. This is a hidden gem in Ottawa. Trust me!

10. Re: Good Restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 am, August 19, 2009