We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Weekend in Ottawa - Itinerary Suggestion

Richmond, Virginia...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Long Weekend in Ottawa - Itinerary Suggestion

The spouse and I will have a long weekend in Ottawa (June 20-23), staying at the Fairmont Chateau Laurier and are looking for itinerary suggestions. Arts, Museum, History and Food suggestions would be most appreciated.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
15,210 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long Weekend in Ottawa - Itinerary Suggestion

you are pretty much central to the must see spots and all are walking distance.

for starters right behind the hotel is the rideau canal with a set of locks follow that to a park that overlooks the US Embassy down the steps to Byward market or towards the National art gallery.

then the other way there are the Parliament buildings.

across the street is the Convention centre and shopping mall.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
219 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long Weekend in Ottawa - Itinerary Suggestion

There's an exhibit on peacekeeping at the Canadian War Museum (a bit of a hoof eastwards from your location, but doable). Special exhibits on Samuel de Champlain and also on the St Lawrence River at the Museum of Civilization, just across the river in Gatineau and a beautiful building in its own right. The Jazz Festival will be on that weekend -- check out its Web site if you're interested, the outdoor venue is right next to the War Museum. Brunch at the Chateau Laurier itself is pretty good, also try the Courtyard Café in the By Ward Market just to the east of the Chateau Laurier. And of course you have to try Beavertails and poutine...

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long Weekend in Ottawa - Itinerary Suggestion

Just a slight correction to the above... the Ottawa Jazz Festival (google it) is at Confederation Park (i.e. NOT by the War Museum). Confederation Park is a very short stroll from the Chateau Laurier so if that appeals it's really close.

As the others mention, you're so much in the center of everything it's hard to give specific advice without knowing more details about your preferences. The main historical attractions, museums and 100+ bars and restaurants of every stripe are within walking distance.

You will easily be able to spend your first full day (or more) wandering to get your bearings...

Given your location, I think your itinerary will self develop :)

Ottawa
Level Contributor
219 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long Weekend in Ottawa - Itinerary Suggestion

Ooops, my confusion. Thanks for the correction, TravelinMan.

Richmond, Virginia...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long Weekend in Ottawa - Itinerary Suggestion

Many thanks, sounds like we were quite fortunate with the location. I had not heard of beavertails previously, but now that I have, I"m certain to include that in our plans.

6. Re: Long Weekend in Ottawa - Itinerary Suggestion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 19, 2014