We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

buying winter clothes in ottawa

Which Ottawa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Ontario...
2 posts
Save Topic
buying winter clothes in ottawa

hi we have arrived in canada about four months ago from india..this will be our first winter here so we are really scared to face the freezing temperatures..i would love to get some good guidance on choosing and purchasing the right kind of winter clothing..what quality we look for and the names of certain brands,type of shoes and when is the right time to buy them, places where we can find them because we are really confused at this point.we also have a 4 year old kid who is going to go to school in this weather..can we get some good advice please.??

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: buying winter clothes in ottawa

Wal-mart and Costco would be a good place to start...

For more upscale quality you could go to the malls, Rideau Centre or Bayshore

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,128 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: buying winter clothes in ottawa

Your child will need a snowsuit, snow boots, hat ,mittens, scarf because kids play outside at recess in school.............go to The Bay, a.k.a. The Hudson's Bay Company, or Sears for good range of choice.......stores will be stocking this stuff soon, also ask Sears for a Fall/Winter catalogue, which is already available and is full of everything your whole family needs to face winter.....even if you don't order anything from the catalogue, it will give you an indication of the things you will need.......................don't be scared , millions of Canadians have survived winter for centuries..it's really not bad, and it can be fun for ice skating, and making snowmen, and skiing..............you'll see...............

Ottawa, Ontario...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: buying winter clothes in ottawa

hi guys ,

thanks for the reply .

Would you want to make any particular recommendations for brands? what is duck down , fill 700-1000 ? i am unaware about these terms . India is +35 C and winters are like +20 C in Mumbai (can go to 5-10C in North India).

So never heard these terms .

Appreciate your quick responses/

Thanks

Ottawa
Level Contributor
637 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: buying winter clothes in ottawa

Never heard those terms either. There are hundreds of brands as winter can last 6 months. I recommend not being thrifty, you don't have to go designer, but quality is important. I see a lot of locals wearing Columbia and Northface.

Boots are critical, you must keep your feet dry and warm. Like Eden7 said, you need the whole range: hats, mittens/gloves, scarf, snowsuit for the young one.

Layering is important, because in Ottawa it can be extremely cold -35C (rarely), but you can have nice mid-winter days when it hits 0C. This where the waterproof boots come in :)

Remember-take wind chill seriously!

I hope this helps. We are off to India in November and we are trying to figure out what to wear :)

Ottawa
Level Contributor
643 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: buying winter clothes in ottawa

Duck down is a small soft finer underfeather of a duck or goose. Fill 700-1000 is thee number of duck down. The down is very light and extremely warm filling , sometimes used for sleeping bags for cold weather outings outdoors.

Over 15 years ago, we decided to buy our 2 nd home in Florida, and spend the winter there. This past winter, In January and February, the weather in Ottawa was warmer, for a few days, than in half of Florida. Our neighbors clears our driveway of snow and said he did it just 3 times.

Although some winters can be bad. About 5 years ago, nobody on our street could get their cars out of the driveways, for 3 days, because the city's snow removal equipment could not keep up with all the snow falls.

The weather here can be a mixed bag. Generally, it is usually quit nice, as I remember it.

If you drive a car, you may have to get snow tires. With rims, 4 good quality snow tires can cost around $600 and over. Welcome.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: buying winter clothes in ottawa

The winters have been such a mixed bag of late, layering as stated above is key to keeping warm for sure...

7. Re: buying winter clothes in ottawa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:35 am, September 04, 2012
Ottawa
Level Contributor
643 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: buying winter clothes in ottawa

WARNING

Do not try any of the airmaxshoe s USA sites.

I tried 2 and got MALICIOUS URL BLOCKED

I have no idea what a whole series of handbag are doing here.

Ontario
Level Contributor
129 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: buying winter clothes in ottawa

I would check out MEC Mountain Equipment Co-op, where they have a great selection of winter wear for adults and children. The staff are very knowledgeable and will suggest certain types of clothing. It's in Westboro, just google it for the correct address. They have a board there for re-sale of kids clothing. The staff are great at explaining all the different types of outerwear.

Nearby is Bushtakah, which also sells good winter clothing. These stores are more specialized and have all the better makes, yet often are no more expensive than WalMart, especially MEC. Your child will need something waterproof for playing in the snow, and good gloves and hat.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
40 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: buying winter clothes in ottawa

I also recommend MEC and Bushtukah. Irving Rivers is also a good place for stuff that is a bit less expensive, if not quite as nice. For the child, make sure to get good boots and mittens(not gloves!). Often, boots and mittens sold for children at places like Wal-Mart are not warm enough.

For adults as well, boots are very important. Good brands include Sorel, Baffin, Columbia and Acton.