We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ottawa for a wedding on Canada Day weekend

California
Level Contributor
2 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Ottawa for a wedding on Canada Day weekend

My husband, 2 sons (age 8 and 4) and I are flying into Ottawa from Los Angeles for a wedding on Saturday June 30th, Canada Day weekend. The wedding is in Kanata, but the reception is in Ottawa at the Chateau Laurier. Any recommendations about staying in Kanata or in Ottawa? I know that the "action" is going to be in Ottawa, but I'm a bit nervous about how crowded it may be and whether it will be difficult to get in and around town. Also, we are hoping to do 3 or 4 days of sightseeing before driving down to Cincinnati to visit more family. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Ottawa
Ottawa
Ontario, Canada
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Canada
Canada
North America
Kanata
Kanata
Ottawa, Canada
Hotel Chateau Laurier
Hotel Chateau Laurier
1,623 Reviews
Quebec City, Canada
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
218 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ottawa for a wedding on Canada Day weekend

I think you would be better to stay in downtown Ottawa for several reasons:

Canada Day activities, crowds and road closures are really only July 1st so your travel to Kanata on June 30th should be no problem.

If you are staying downtown, you can either walk or take a quick taxi from your hotel to the reception and back to your hotel at the end of the night.

From downtown, you can do all the Canada Day activities on foot. You have the option to go back to your room for a rest, swim etc part way through the day - Canada Day is mostly outside so depending on the weather (can be very hot or cool and windy) taking a break can be a good idea. Activities run from morning through fireworks after the evening show.

Yes, its crowded but a friendly, fun loving crowded. Jacques Cartier Park on the Quebec side of the Ottawa river has lots of kid friendly activities. The noon time and evening shows on Parliament Hill might not be as interesting for younger children. (bring a blanket to sit on)

Mentioned in this post
Ottawa
Ottawa
Ontario, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
Kanata
Kanata
Ottawa, Canada
Jacques Cartier Park
Jacques Cartier Park
253 Reviews
Gatineau, Canada
Parliament Hill
Parliament Hill
2,000 Reviews
Ottawa, Canada
California
Level Contributor
2 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ottawa for a wedding on Canada Day weekend

Great suggestions! Okay, downtown it is then.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
20 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ottawa for a wedding on Canada Day weekend

I agree, but book now for hotels, as you will find it will be hard to get in anywhere now. If you can't get in at the Chateau Laurier, try Lord Elgin Hotel, Minto Suites, and the marriot. Road closures downtown will delay everyone, so plan on alot of walking, but it is a memorable experience for sure.

Mentioned in this post
Lord Elgin
Lord Elgin
518 Reviews
Ottawa, Canada
4. Re: Ottawa for a wedding on Canada Day weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, June 18, 2013