We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Byward Market bars and lounges

Brewerton, New York
Level Contributor
166 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Byward Market bars and lounges

I'm looking at some of the listings and they seem to me to be for more the "elite" people. We are simple people who like to have fun and not have to dress to the nines to do it...should we be staying away from Byward?

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Byward Market bars and lounges

While there are some very fancy restaurants/lounges, the vast majority of the venues in the Market are loud and noisy, full of late teens and 20 somethings.

Suggest you try one of the pubs in the Irish Village - 5 pubs, 6 patios under one roof. http://www.heartandcrown.ca/byward.aspx

Brewerton, New York
Level Contributor
166 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Byward Market bars and lounges

Iwould guess that the loud and noisiness would more during the late night?

Canada
Level Contributor
80 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Byward Market bars and lounges

Would help if you'd clarify what you are looking for in a non-fancy place - lots of pub options (personally I loathe the Irish village - too loud to talk, but not set up to dance).

My pub preferences would be more along the lines of Chez Lucien (french style pub with decent food, exposed stone walls and a jukebox - very popular and thus usually crowded), the Blackthorne (in a heritage building), Chateau Lafayette, aka the Laff (a dive bar), or Patty Bolands or the Brig for the better of the generic Irish pubs.

As for non-pubs, Must is a small, relatively quiet, decent wine bar, the Avante Garde (on Besserer, just outside the Market, is a Russian-themed bar with Soviet propaganda posters on the walls, the Blue Cactus has giant slushy drinks and a mix of people, as it is more of a restaurant than bar.

If there's some kind of atmosphere, crowd or drinks you are looking for, feel free to post and will try to suggest something you might like.

Brewerton, New York
Level Contributor
166 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Byward Market bars and lounges

What I mean is non-pretentious...like I said we are simple people...we ride Harleys, but aren't the stereotypical riders

...just like to have fun..

Brewerton, New York
Level Contributor
166 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Byward Market bars and lounges

oh..we aren't wine drinkers...beer is our preference

Canada
Level Contributor
80 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Byward Market bars and lounges

Tonnes of pubs. Most will end up being fairly busy and fairly noisy on a weekend. The Highlander has a more interesting draft selection than most. Also a bit quieter, except when there is live music. There is one brew pub (Clocktower) but I don't find their beer, food, service or atmopshere offer much.

If you are okay getting out of the Market, you could head down to to the new Mill Street Bewery location - they have their usual selections plus some Ottawa-specific beers. There's also Brasseur du Temps in Gatineau, if you wanted to sample the Quebec culture - food is very meat heavy, and heavy in general I find. Both brew and serve their own beer. Both are in restored heritage buildings. I would recommend reservations for both on a weekend or Thursday. Mill Street would be a 5-7 minute cab ride from the Market, BDT 7-9 minutes. BDT often does live music.

Brewerton, New York
Level Contributor
166 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Byward Market bars and lounges

thanks for the information! It's much appreciated..

8. Re: Byward Market bars and lounges

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:40 pm, June 17, 2013