We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

possible side visit to Gatineau during Ottawa stay

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
745 posts
320 reviews
Save Topic
possible side visit to Gatineau during Ottawa stay

hi. from what we've seen mentioned here on TA, we may go over to Gatineau to have lunch or dinner one day during our upcoming Ottawa visit.

i've tried to research TA and outside sources to answer this, but is there any particular area of Gatineau that is a more concentrated or charming area with restaurants (we've seen a couple of specific Gatineau restaurant suggestions), historical buildings or just a good area to walk around?

thanks for suggestions

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
554 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: possible side visit to Gatineau during Ottawa stay

The museum of Civilization is just across the River in Gatineau and will give you great views of Ottawa and the parliament buildings. Across the street there used to be some restaurants in charming old brick houses. I'm not sure they are still there. It's been a while since we dined out that way.

You could try Chelsea or Maniwaki area. I know my friends have dine out there in character infused restaurants... Some with a view. Do a search here on TA in those areas. Good luck! :-)

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
745 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: possible side visit to Gatineau during Ottawa stay

yes, as indicated, i have searched TA. Thanks.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: possible side visit to Gatineau during Ottawa stay

The only real zone I can think of which would qualify as "concentrated restaurants and charming area" is Promenade du Portage and Rue Aubry... but honestly I haven't been there for several years.... and it's certainly no where near as extensive as what one would find in Ottawa.

*Many* years ago, exactly that area was hopping as the bars shut at 1am in Ottawa, but 3am in Gatineau.... so an entire nightlife area was built up around those 2 hours :)

Today, there are certainly a few restaurants / bars there, so if you want a little experience Francais might be worth a visit....

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: possible side visit to Gatineau during Ottawa stay

The current city of Gatineau was established in 2002 through the amalgamation of 5 municipalities, one of which was the city of Hull, directly across the river from downtown Ottawa.

I don't think 'charming' has ever been used as an adjective in front of Hull.

Historically, Hull was a gritty industrial town, with lumber, pulp and paper mills strung out along the Ottawa River. Behind these mills was a Main Street (Rue Principale) that largely comprised drinking and raunchy entertainment establishments that served the local working class population and folks crossing from Ottawa, to escape its more puritanical entertainment standards and Calvinist drinking laws. There were a few fine restaurants, serving rich, calorie-laden traditional French cuisine.

The mills are largely gone, replaced by high rise office towers housing government employees. Rue Principale, renamed Promenade du Portage, was largely destroyed in the process. And the By Ward Market in Ottawa developed into a legitimate destination for dining, drinking and entertainment.

There do remain, however, a few very nice restaurants on Prom. du Portage and side streets, which are very busy at lunch hour, selling their $10 lunch specials to the ravenous civil servants pouring out of these offices after a hard morning's work. Which is my only experience with them. How busy they get at night, with their more extensive and expensive menus, I can't say.

All that to say, on a nice summer's evening, it might be interesting to wander the streets of the Hull Sector of Gatineau, with the chance of lucking into a very nice intimate bistro with excellent food. Not sure I'd recommend for late January.

Canada
Level Contributor
80 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: possible side visit to Gatineau during Ottawa stay

Chelsea or Wakefield would be a far better use of your time than Gatineau at this time of year (I like Wakefield myself). Unless you'd like to do some outdoor activity in Gatineau Park and then hit a restaurant in old Hull.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
645 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: possible side visit to Gatineau during Ottawa stay

While old Hull is not large, there are actually 24 restaurants/bars in a 5 minute walking radius. There are a number of quite nice restaurants on Portage, Le French Quarter, Le Petit Chicago, Molto etc.

In the little square (Aubry& Kent ) there are clubs like Le Bop and Le Bistro, mediocre food, but fun patios in the summer. On Laval (30 second walk) there is a Thai restaurant, Piz'za-za (upscale pizza), Cafe Aux 4 jeudis (great patio) Pele Mele (best poutine) and Le Troquet (best food, beer selection and service).

Summer afternoons on Thursdays there is an open air maket on Laval.

25 minute walk from downtown Ottawa.

7. Re: possible side visit to Gatineau during Ottawa stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:33 am, March 14, 2013