We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Houseboat rental Rideau

Which Ottawa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
salisbury maryland
Level Contributor
20 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Houseboat rental Rideau

Any one ever rented a houseboat in the Rideau area?? Our family would like to do this but we may be alittle late in the game as I see rentals are already booked. How is the fishing and are the bugs bad? Where is the best and largest houseboats? Our families may need two. 7 of us .

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Houseboat rental Rideau

Hi Summersalisburymd,

Welcome to the OTTAWA TRAVEL FORUM.

I haven’t rented a houseboat on the Rideau myself… but I have done elsewhere in Canada so I am somewhat familiar with these types of holidays. They do tend to book up quite early in the season (late Winter & Spring) so yes you might find it difficult to find something that works with your scheduled holidays if they are in July & August.

I do however have extensive experience with the Rideau Canal and Rideau Lakes having camped and cottaged in the area many times, and have done some day trips on the water. The bugs (mosquitos) aren’t bad in July & August (like they are in May & June)… but you still should be aware that they will come out in the cool of day and thru the night… best therefore to cover up and put on some bug spray. I particularly like wearing light socks to bed when I camp (and a houseboat would be similar) as mosquitoes do seem to like attacking one’s feet… and there is nothing worse than having burning itchy feet the rest of your holiday day & night.

I take it the Fishing is good, as all the Rideau Canal Websites have pages dedicated to it.

You should take a look at the following Websites in particular that are chocked full of info on the region…

Parks Canada – Rideau Canal = www.pc.gc.ca/eng/lhn-nhs/on/rideau/index.aspx

Friends of the Rideau = www.rideaufriends.com/

Rideau Canal Waterway (Info) = www.rideau-info.com

Rideau Canal Waterway (Rentals) = www.rideau-info.com/canal/boat_rent.html

As you can see from the last page I’ve referenced… under the section entitled *Houseboats* there are indeed houseboats available that can carry 7 or more people. I am somewhat familiar with both Big Rideau Lake Boat Rentals and Houseboat Holidays Ltd. both of which advertise extensively in the region… but also if you check out the top of the page in the *Boats & Cruisers* category… Aylings Boatyard at Merrickville… last summer when on the Rideau for a day we met a family who had rented from them and seemed quite satisfied… but I seem to recall they said it wasn’t a “traditional” houseboat set-up (think they were staying ashore).

I suggest that you take a look at the various Houseboat / Cruiser Rentals Websites and if you need more info contact the Owners directly (as chances are probably slim that someone who has rented in the past will actually see this post).

All of the above Websites that I've referenced have a ton of info on the Canal & Lakes Waterway including services, navigation maps etc... all-in-all probably a lot of reading / research in front of you, lol.

BTW, the region is truly beautiful so I hope it works out for you...

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

2. Re: Houseboat rental Rideau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, December 27, 2010