We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking near Parliament Hill

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Parking near Parliament Hill

My title probably says it all.

Would be in Ottawa for a morning in early July and would like a tour of the Parliament and to see the Guards change. Is there parking available close to Parliament?

Thanks!

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
889 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking near Parliament Hill

We usually park at Ottawa City Hall, or the Byward market. It's just a short walk from both.

Ottawa, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking near Parliament Hill

There is a variety of parking available in the downtown area within walking distance to parliament hill. You have a choice between parking garages and lots which start at $9 for a daily rate and go up from there. If you are parking at one of the many metered spots be aware that they are all a one or two hour limit and the parking is enforced strictly. All street parking is limited to meters and spots get taken very quickly especially during prime tourist season.

Also, if you are staying during Canada Day you should know that the entire core area of Ottawa is closed off to traffic by the RCMP for Canada Day ceremonies, so you would have to park outside of the core and bus, walk or cab it in.

If you are staying at a hotel downtown, I would just leave my car in the hotel parking. If you're outside of the core, you could take a city bus or taxi.

Have fun :)

Here's a site that might be helpful re Ottawa:

foundlocally.com/ottawa/Travel/Attr-Parliame…

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
151 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking near Parliament Hill

If you're here on a Saturday or Sunday, you can park at the World Exchange Plaza for free. It's located at Metcalfe & Laurier and is a 5 minute walk to Parliament Hill.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking near Parliament Hill

Hi onward. :)

It depends where you're staying. I walked easily from the Byward Market area and toured the Parliament buildings. Another spot that might be convenient (and was also a very nice walk to the Parliament buildings) is the National Gallery which had a parking garage....

<<The National Gallery's underground parking garage; $1.50 per half-hour, up to a maximum daily charge of $8.50. Evening rate (after Gallery closing) $4.25......... if you are outside the National Capital region please call 1-800-319-2787 >>>

http://www.gallery.ca/english/index.html

It's a gorgeous building, even from the outside!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking near Parliament Hill

Ultimate ~> Unfortunately we'll be there for Tuesday morning. Thanks for your suggestion.

Tobie from London ~> Thanks Tobie for your kind advice. We're stayin in Nepean.

P.S. Is there a lot of rush hour traffic that heads in to the core of Ottawa on weekday mornings?

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,471 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking near Parliament Hill

Parking rates have gone up substantially the past few years, as many of the temporary surface lots are being built on. The rates at the National Gallery are now $2.50 per half hour, $12.00 per day.

Yes, there is heavy traffic into the city centre in the morning. Although it won't be as bad in July and August because of some many office workers on vacation. You may actually find some good 'early bird specials' in the underground parking in some of the office towers.

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
889 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking near Parliament Hill

If you're staying in Nepean and coming into town on a weekday morning I would just take the bus, as it's very convenient.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking near Parliament Hill

ron & js ~> Thanks for the tip. I'm mostly concerned about convenience, as I'm sure parking costs in a city centre would be high. I just didn't want to be everywhere trying to find a place.

ottawa
Level Contributor
474 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking near Parliament Hill

The closest pay parking lot is probably under the World Exchange plaza about 2 blocks south of Parliament. The entrance to it is off of Metcalfe St, which is a one-way street so plan in advance how you are going to approach.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parking near Parliament Hill

Scratch ~> Thanks for the info. Interesting how we can deal with these things in our own cities easily, but feel panicked driving in a city we don't know well. Thanks for the heads up about the one way street issue.