We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

restaurant recommendation for dinner downtown

nld
Ontario
Level Contributor
432 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
restaurant recommendation for dinner downtown

We will be in Ottawa in late July. We will be celebrating our wedding anniversary while there and wanted to know of nice restaurant near Elgin or the Byward Market. We don't want anything too romantic more of a dressy casual place with some atmosphere to it. We love mediterranean and Italian. Any ideas?

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: restaurant recommendation for dinner downtown

You may want to consider Meditheo in the By Ward Market. See http://www.meditheo.com/

ottawa
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: restaurant recommendation for dinner downtown

Not in the Market, but WONDERFUL - if you are willing to take a drive in the Gatineau Hills (a nice trip in itself, 30 mins from downtown), I highly recommend L'Oree du Bois. Fantastic value, absolutely top notch food and wine list, charming servers. Google them! (atmosphere matches what you've asked for, a casual, relaxed place - but always hopping - you'll need reservations)

www.oreeduboisrestaurant.com/en/word.htm

In the Market, Mamma Grazzi is very good, and very informal. For Italian, do consider heading to Ottawa's Little Italy (corso italia) on Preston Street. There are quite a few good Italian restaurants...

I would not recommend Mama Teresa's, however. I've never had good service there: stuffy and s-l-o-w.

nld
Ontario
Level Contributor
432 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: restaurant recommendation for dinner downtown

Thanks for the suggestions. It will help in our decision when we get there.

Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: restaurant recommendation for dinner downtown

Italian? Trattoria Cafe Italia on the corner of Gladstone and Preston Street ($7 cab from Elgin) is the best Italian food I've had.

Another Italian option in the market would be Cafe Spiga on Dalhousie St. Very good.

Greek? Papagus on Kent and Somerset (10 minute walk down Somerst from Elgin Street). Atmospher is nothin gto write home about but the food is to die for and the service is excellent.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! :)

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: restaurant recommendation for dinner downtown

We had a great Italian dinner on Canada Day at Mamma Grazzi's, near the Byward Market. They have a patio in a courtyard area, away from traffic. Very nice. We had the special - pasta with crab, chicken, mushrooms, artichokes and lots of other yummy stuff.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
726 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: restaurant recommendation for dinner downtown

Had dinner recently at Beckta. Very very good

http://www.beckta.com/

Also Signatures, and excellent Cordon Bleu Resturant

lcbottawa.com/English/signatures/index.cfm

Both are for those special occasions

nld
Ontario
Level Contributor
432 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: restaurant recommendation for dinner downtown

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. We will definitely go to some of these restaurants during our stay in Ottawa.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: restaurant recommendation for dinner downtown

Definitely Meditheo. Call ahead for reservations and let them know that you are celebrating something special.

ottawa, on
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: restaurant recommendation for dinner downtown

I work in the hotel business in Ottawa and we send many of our guest to Victoria Tratoria's in the Market. Hope you enjoy

Get answers to your questions about Ottawa