We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Bulldozer Parked on Main Street....

Which Niagara-on-the-Lake hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toledo, OH
Level Contributor
871 posts
341 reviews
Save Topic
A Bulldozer Parked on Main Street....

blocked the parking machine, so I didn't see it. There was a 9"X6" sign at the end of block, announcing the parking machine, but I didn't see that either. Consequently, I got a $25 parking ticket. I have seen these machines in lots before, but never in the middle of a block. And seriously, who parks a huge bulldozer on a main street? Shame on the city of NOTL!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Bulldozer Parked on Main Street....

That wasn' t fair!

A somewhat similar situation happened to my husband in Montreal while he was there on business. A sign which was totally in French ( he knows no French at all) was announcing something about no parking in a certain spot, etc. etc. I feel that street signs in Quebec should be in both official languges to help everyone obey the laws. Similarly, a speeding ticket from Quebec was all totally in French! C'est la vie!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,153 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Bulldozer Parked on Main Street....

Ouch, tamaralea, that's expensive parking!

scotiagirl, the two official languages don't apply at the provincial level, only federally. (Are the road signs in Truro posted in French as well as English?)The province of Quebec is unilingually French, just as Nova Scotia is unilingually English. There is only one province in the whole country that is officially bilingual - New Brunswick. Vive la différence!

Toledo, OH
Level Contributor
871 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Bulldozer Parked on Main Street....

I'm happy to report that my ticket has been dismissed. I contacted the city's road department supervisor because I thought he might be responsible for the heavy equipment. He forwarded it to the traffic department, where they "had no picture" of the vehicle. Apparently they must take pictures of vehicles in violation. Because they knew of the road construction occuring at the time, they took my word and cancelled the ticket.

But, some words of warning......There are no meters for individual parking spots along the main street. You must pay at a machine in the middle of the block and display your ticket.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A Bulldozer Parked on Main Street....

I'm glad they cancelled your ticket.

Your warning applies, I think, to most cities in Ontario these days. Traditional parking meters have mostly been replaced by "Pay and Display" units that take money and print a ticket, and the closest unit may be half a block away.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,528 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Bulldozer Parked on Main Street....

I love happy endings

6. Re: A Bulldozer Parked on Main Street....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, June 23, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Niagara-on-the-Lake