We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Niagara bike trails - map needed.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Niagara bike trails - map needed.

Hi Everyone

A slight change in plans, my wife and I have decided to stay in Niagara falls, and explore the bike trails up to NOTL... while stopping at some wineries on the way.

I am trying to find a map of the bike trails so I can plan out our route... but I am not having much luck.

Is there anyway I can find this map online? Is there a dedicated trail from the falls up to NOTL... or will we have to share the road with traffic on the road?

Thanks again,

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
9,061 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Niagara bike trails - map needed.

The Niagara River Recreation Trail runs from Fort Erie to Niagara on the Lake. The only section of it that is on the road is the section from the Horseshoe Falls to the Whirlpool Aerocar. From the Aerocar to NOTL is about 19km and the trail is mostly flat, except for the Niagara Escarpment at Queenston, where there is a severe elevation change that is great fun going down (northbound), but not so much coming back up. You might need to walk the upslope, about 1/2km. Along that stretch you will pass the Niagara Glen Nature Area, The Botanical Gardens and Butterfly Conservatory, the Niagara Generating Stations, Floral Clock, Queenston Heights Park, Laura Secord Homestead and McFarland House.

There are several wineries on, or close to, the trail/parkway between Queenston and NOTL.

niagaraparks.com/nature-trails/niagara-river…

niagararegion.ca/government/initiatives/gncr…

winecountryontario.ca/content/downloads/offi…

Edited: 9:53 am, August 24, 2011
gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Niagara bike trails - map needed.

A large map of bicycling in Niagara is available at

niagararegion.ca/exploring/cycle/bikemap.aspx

The recreation trail map in fallsdude's post is probably the best for your needs.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Niagara bike trails - map needed.

Hi Gang one more question...

Is there a place to park your vehicle along the Niagara parkway... just in case we decide to drive half way there?

I am worried the ride might be a little to long? We are both in decent shape... i just haven't ridden a bike in years.

Thoughts?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Niagara bike trails - map needed.

Hi ValdyM,

Welcome to the NIAGARA-ON-THE-LAKE TRAVEL FORUM.

Biking is a wonderful pasttime in the Niagara Region... I am sure you'll have a great time.

Happy to see you doing some research / advance planning... much better than "just winging it"... as there certainly can be some concerns...

Most often it comes to having a Back Up Plan... a lot of folks "think" they can bike between NOTL and NF... only to quickly discover it isn't as close as they imagined.

From the Canadian Falls to Lake Ontairo (in NOTL) is aprox 25 Kms... so ya, it can be a long cycle... especially if you plan to go both ways !!

The half-way mark is aprox Queenston Heights Park... which is part of the Niagara Parks Commission properties... and last stop on the PeopleMovers from NF during high season (check the website = www.niagaraparks.com for more info)

Queenston Heights Park has FREE Parking.

Just remember when planning out your route... and a "contingency plan" that there is no bus service on the 13 Kms between NOTL and Queenston Heights... and if you poop out on that leg, getting back to your car can be more problematic... you'd probably have to cab it (EXPEN$IVE)

And in no scenario is there a way that public transit carries bikes.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

London, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Niagara bike trails - map needed.

Thats perfect... I will park it there.

Thanks for your quick response... we are heading out in about 2 hours. We are very excited. Should be a great time.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Niagara bike trails - map needed.

Hi ValdyM,

You are very welcome... glad to help.

Have a great trip... I'm sure you'll love NF & NOTL and your Anniversary Weekend Getaway...

I should add, that although I said there is no public transit between NOTL and NF (or Queenston Heights) I kind of fibbed... there is the NOTL Shuttle that runs from Fort George to NF... but its hours and services are really limited... so best to realize that in most situations if you find yourself stranded... it isn't really an option.

NOTL Shuttle = http://www.5-0taxi.com/shuttle.php

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

7. Re: Niagara bike trails - map needed.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 pm, October 12, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Niagara-on-the-Lake