We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Niagara on the Lake to Buffalo

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Niagara on the Lake to Buffalo

My family and I are flying to Toronto, staying at Niagara by the Lake Ontario for a couple of days and then we are crossing to Buffalo, renting a car and driving to Seneca Falls and then New York City. My questions is which is the best way to get from Niagara on the Lake to Buffalo? Most car rentals do not allow me to pick up in Ontario and drop off in NY and the ones that do are way way... expensive. I was looking into taking Amtrak from the Niagara Falls Ontario to Buffalo but not sure if its worth it because the distance is so short. I am traveling with kids so I am looking for "easy". Thank you for your time in advance......

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,919 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Niagara on the Lake to Buffalo

I am using this shuttle service to get back and forth from the Buffalo Airport.

http://www.niagaraairbus.com/

gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,425 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Niagara on the Lake to Buffalo

The article about getting from Niagara Falls to Buffalo would give most details:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154998-s301/Niagara-…

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Niagara on the Lake to Buffalo

Hi Jacoose,

Welcome to the NIAGARA-ON-THE-LAKE TRAVEL FORUM.

And I see that you are a Brand NEW Member of TripAdvisor… so a BIG Welcome Aboard as well !!

Indeed renting cars and taking them across borders (Provincial / State… or even more so International) is problematic.

You haven’t said how you plan to get from Toronto to NOTL… as there is very little in the way of public transit… so that would be my first Question.

NOTL is truly remote… it is more or less out in the countryside (wine country… so think big farms here) and about 30 Kms = 30 Minutes from Niagara Falls via the Niagara River Parkway.

You may find the best solution will be to rent a car in Toronto… and then drop it off in Niagara Falls.

Cross into the USA… either by cab or walking across Rainbow Bridge (very popular and the most inexpensive solution as you won’t have to wait in traffic with the meter running to clear customs). The walk across the Bridge is aprox half-km (1/3 of a Mile)… and you can stop in at the Niagara Falls State Park Visitors Centre on the other side to get a cab to take you to wherever you will rent a car from in the USA.

Renting two separate cars, one for each country makes the most sense. The one for NY State and the trip to NY City should also be not terribly prohibitive either… as the US Rental will be entirely for one state (NY) then the drop fees shouldn’t be too bad.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS... Would like to know more details about your NOTL visit with kids in tow... although it can "work" for families... NOTL is truly a quiet getaway place for couples primarily.

4. Re: Niagara on the Lake to Buffalo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, October 28, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Niagara-on-the-Lake