We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting bikes and doing wine tours..

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Renting bikes and doing wine tours..

Hello, we will be starting off at the Shaw Hotel and was wondering if anyone had suggestions as to a possible route to take and suggestion for stopovers i.e. wineries or scenic spots.

Thanks in advance.

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
160 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting bikes and doing wine tours..

How much biking do you want to do? I have done a few routes from NOTL with some winery stops, but also to different parts of the region with varying levels of difficulty. Are you looking for a relaxing day or some challenging riding (with winery stops of course!)?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting bikes and doing wine tours..

Good point - something more relaxing.

Thanks again!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting bikes and doing wine tours..

Hi Globetrotters,

Welcome to the NIAGARA-ON-THE-LAKE TRAVEL FORUM.

Yes... Niagara Wine Country is really quite big... covering an aprox distance of 50 Kms from NOTL thru to Winona... and lots of great country roads that wind thru it... so knowing more about your "vision" here would be helpful.

Of note, there is at least one Wine Touring Company that rents bikes and helps you organize a route etc.... They also can make arrangements for lunch in a vineyard, and to pick up your wine purchases and bring them to your Hotel... and if I recall correctly they also offer a shuttle service... so once you are pooped out, they come get you and the bikes with a van.

Might be worth looking into...

Niagara Wine Tours International = www.niagaraworldwinetours.com

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

EDIT - The dot-com link above leads to their Website... the Hyperlink (blue writing of their name) above leads to their REVIEWS here on TA in the THINGS TO DO Section.

Edited: 11:28 am, June 16, 2010
St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
160 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting bikes and doing wine tours..

One of the nicest rides in Niagara is along the Greater Niagara Circle Route.

niagararegion.ca/government/…default.aspx

This link is for the entire route but in Niagara on the Lake it runs along the parkway beside the Niagara River. The path there is paved and it is a multi use path for walking/rollerblading/biking etc., but no cars. You could pick up the path from Old Town (head towards the water) and then head south (in the direction of Niagara Falls). This part of the path will take you along the river (scenic riding) and through a few parks. One of the biggest parks along the route is McFarland Park, which is a pretty popular picnic area. From this park if you turn right down East West Line, Peller Estates is on your right hand side, about 200 metres up the road. If you continue along the parkway trail you will pass Kurtz Orchards (market where you could pick up a light lunch) Reif Estates, Riverbend, and the Ice House (just icewine - very good though). As you are going along the trail, all of these wineries will be on your right hand side, on the other side of the road. Most of the trail at this point is relatively flat and an easy ride. Once you get past the Ice House, you get closer to the escarpment and the trail gets tougher so I would recommend turning back towards Old Town.

If you were to go in the opposite direction from your hotel and biked down Niagara Stone Road, then turned right at the Tim Hortons and went down Lakeshore Rd you would pass Strewn Winery and Konzelmann (both worth a visit imo). Not sure about Strewn but I know if you purchase anything at Konzelmann they will deliver it to your hotel.

There is also a nice bike path down Niagara Stone Rd that will take you to Jackson Triggs and Pilliteri. It doesn't go all the way to Hillebrand (maybe one day!)

These are some of the bigger wineries and the ones along dedicated bike paths. Many of the country roads in NOTL are great for biking as they only get a small amount of traffic. If there are smaller wineries you want to visit I wouldn't hesitate to take your bikes down these roads. Cycling around NOTL is great: it is very flat, and drivers are accustomed to sharing the road with cyclists - many of the farm workers get around by bicycle.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting bikes and doing wine tours..

Thanks for the great replies! Any other suggestions...

Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting bikes and doing wine tours..

Regarding bike rentals, another great company is ZOOM Leisure. You can rent the bikes and tour at will on your own or you can join one of their cycling tours. They also have van service for those who tire. You can check them out at www.zoomleisure.com. We recommend them to all our cycling guests who haven't brought their own bikes.

For something really unique in the way of wine tour, consider Niagara Classic Cabs. On their Vine and Dine tour, you get your own private chauffeur/guide as you tour up to four wineries and enjoy lunch at a local pub. Information on this and other wine tour options are found at www.niagaraclassiccabs.com/wine.html.

If you prefer being with a group rather than on your own, also check out Niagara Vintage Wine Tours offerings at niagaravintagewinetours.com/ourwinetours.htm…

One thing for sure, you will not run out of wineries, restaurants or things to do in Niagara-on-the-Lake.

Enjoy!

D. Vieira

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting bikes and doing wine tours..

TO FFVDV,

Welcome to the NIAGARA-ON-THE-LAKE TRAVEL FORUM.

And I also see you are a NEW Member TripAdvisor’s FORUMS… So a BIG Welcome Aboard as well !!

Always happy to see a local business owner get involved in the Discussions here on TA…

Great suggestions… though as a someone new to the FORUMS you should keep in mind a few things…

The Original Poster (OP) created this topic back in June, so there is a good chance they have already travelled… always good to watch the dates closely on topics.

And as to your quote…

<< We recommend them to all our cycling guests who haven’t brought their own bikes. >>

As per TA’s FORUMS POSTING GUIDELINES if you represent a local business, then you MUST provide a Declaration to that fact in any replies to a Traveller… just as simple statement will suffice…

“Hi, I am D. Vieira from ______________” this ensures that every Traveller knows who they are getting info from in regards to those who may have a business affiliation / interest in something “they could” potentially recommend.

For more info, see the FORUMS POSTING GUIDELINES, where everything is clearly spelled out... tripadvisor.com/help/what_are_the_guidelines…

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting bikes and doing wine tours..

Sorry, I should have noticed the date. I own a B&B so I didn't think it appropriate to "advertise" my business. Nor do I have any affiliation with the companies I recommended. I just know what recommendations my guests have appreciated the most.

D. Vieira

9. Re: Renting bikes and doing wine tours..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:29 am, April 02, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Niagara-on-the-Lake