We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Grand Victorian Wedding

Which Niagara-on-the-Lake hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
titania82
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
A Grand Victorian Wedding

I've seen several posts on here questioning the Grand Victorian- and I must say, they hosted and coordinated the most beautiful and carefree wedding for me.

Pictures as evidence: flickr.com/photos/…

Planning:

I was planning every part of my wedding from Dallas, Tx and lacked the ability to even go check out the site prior to the week of the wedding. If found the GV via Google and after speaking with Eva, decided it was the place for me. Eva and I had regular phone calls, email Q&A sessions, etc. She recommended amazing vendors inclusive of:

Flowers:

Marsha Howe of Marsha's Flowers

http://www.marshasflowers.com.

She created absolutely amazing arrangements with very little direction on my part (I gave her a few pictures and said go to town!)

Catering: Robin Howe

http://www.robinhowecatering.com/

We wanted a southwestern inspired cuisine and were very very specific about flavor combinations and presentation. Not only was the presentation beautiful, the entrees turned out better than the Dallas restaurant from which their inspiration came.

DJ: Mark Lambert

email: marklambert@sympatico.ca

This man rocked. He was 100% digital, no flipping for CD's, etc- and had more music that I could imagine. We couldn't find the CD with our chosen first dance song as we were rushing out of the house for our 6 am flight, so were going to scour various website for it. I emailed him to find out if he minding us giving him and mp3- and it turned out he had the song anyway- mind you, this is a song from 1993, from a rare artist (mostly only popular in Texas)- I was floored!

String Quartet: Niagara String Quartet

email: charlenenagel@yahoo.com

They were absolutely wonderful- great recommendations for pieces and timing. My only major hassle was that they would only take bank checks or international money order, neither of which were easy for me to get, but that isn't really their problem

Officiant: Deborah Vaughan

http://holyangelsministries.com/

We were looking for someone that wasn't completely a-religious that perform a same-gender wedding- and we found our perfect match with Deborah! We made modifications to her normal ceremony and she didn't miss a beat, even coming prepared with extra tid bits of content that enhanced our ceremony.

So, I have nothing but raves for all of her vendors- and everything related to dance tents, tables, etc etc etc, I never even had to think about. She asked me a few basic questions, asked me for the flow of the ceremony etc- and magically it all appeared, without a hitch.

Contract issues I've seen in the past- yes, TGV does require that the wine provided at the wedding come from the Reif Estate. I knew that going in, love Reif Estate wine, and had no issues. Another great thing about using their wines: Reif will buy back what you don't use!

Comments on the location itself:

The house is old and fabulous- lots of character, beautiful woodwork, huge spacious rooms with beautiful claw foot tubs and stained glass windows that make pre-wedding photography amazing! I've seen references to peeling paint and yes, there was some of that, but hey, if you were an ancient Victorian house, you probably would have some too- and it adds character and life to the location! Breakfast was great each morning- normally a beautiful assortment of local fruits, meats, breads, quiche, etc.

The grounds were manicured right before the wedding, but even before, the flower beds and common areas were delightful- full of brightly colored local flowers and healthy greenery.

To wrap it up- to all of you brides and grooms out there- seriously consider the Grand Victorian for your wedding!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Grand Victorian Wedding

titania~Wow! Gorgeous couple, gorgeous wedding!

Thanks so much for posting about the Grand Victorian and your wedding details. All information that may prove to be very helpful to couples wanting to have their ceremony in Niagara on the Lake.

Your wedding looked to be very much a Midsummer Night's Dream.

Congratulations to you both!

titania82
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Grand Victorian Wedding

Awww- thanks Tobie!

3. Re: A Grand Victorian Wedding

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, September 08, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Niagara-on-the-Lake