We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bring our bikes?

Toronto
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bring our bikes?

HI All,

my hubby and I are going to NF for the weekend, we enjoy leisurely biking. I am thinking we shoudl bring the bikes, that way we can get out and bike around, rather than walk. We are staying at the Ramada on Stanley which I understand is some what in between the two tourist areas?

I am thinking it would be a nice ride down the falls as well.

Thoughts?

Anyone know if there are many bike stands in the tourist area to lock our bikes to?

Many thanks

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,988 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bring our bikes?

Definitely take the bikes, and not just for getting around NF and to the falls. If you're interested in exploring the broader Niagara region wine country, biking is a great way to do it. You could ride a big loop from NF north to Niagara-on-the-Lake along the Niagara River path, west along Lakeshore Road to the Welland Canal, south along the canal path and then back east to NF via any east-west road depending on how far you want to go. A route like this (possibly with minor adjustments) could take you past any number of wineries, and even if you're not interested in that it'll give you some scenic riding and opportunities to visit downtown NoTL, Fort George, and various roadside markets. With a couple of stops, a route like this could take the whole day.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,624 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bring our bikes?

I brought a smaller bike just to take with me to the falls. It sure beats walking and yeah, no problems locking your bike up...there are lots of sign post if there is no bike racks

Edited: 12:33 pm, May 05, 2014
Toronto
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Bring our bikes?

Thanks! That settles it, we are bringing the bikes

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
8,976 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bring our bikes?

Just be careful on the streets in the tourist areas. There are very few bike lanes and lots of drivers unfamiliar with the area. In Queen Victoria Park, there are bus/bike lanes but you still have to be vigilant. The Niagara River Recreation Trail is a great place to bike, as is the Greater Niagara Circle Route, but both can be quite ambitous - tweedwolfscream's suggested route alone would be over 60km. And don't forget that going down to the Falls on a bike means having to get back up a hill eventually.

niagararegion.ca/government/initiatives/gncr/

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bring our bikes?

Do the local buses in Niagara have the bike rack on the front of the bus? That could be a solution if it gets too much.

They have them here, but they only hold 2 bikes max.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,988 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bring our bikes?

Not sure if that would be much of a solution since there isn't really bus service between towns in Niagara.

It's true, the route I suggested is an ambitious one, but you can ride a shorter one -- it's just an example. As fallsdude says it would be a little over 60 km. If you were to just ride from NF to NoTL via the Niagara River path and back via Niagara Stone Rd and Four Mile Creek Rd, it would be more like 45 km. If you took your bikes by car to Queenston and rode a version of my original loop starting and ending there, it would also be around 45 km. Regardless of whether you ride a loop like this or just want to access a few nearby wineries, the back roads of rural Niagara are great for biking.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,624 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bring our bikes?

That is true about traffic, it can be crazy. You got drivers looking at the falls and not at the road and even in town, it doesn't seem that much better.

I try to stick with the sidewalks if they are not crowded. Might not be 100% legal but I have yet to have any problems--but then I don't live in Niagara. I do go slow if people are around, one reason I got a "kiddie" bike, its less intimidating to the people walking around. Only has 24 inch wheels and it would be awful for long bike rides yet it gets me around faster then jogging and takes less energy.

You can always walk your bike on the sidewalks if they get crowded. I rather be too safe then not safe enough...funny I don't wear a bike helmet, then I have yet to fall down all the way..I swear the little bike is easier to handle then my other bike that is "the correct size".

8. Re: Bring our bikes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, May 07, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Niagara Falls