We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping in Buffalo Questions

Ontario
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Shopping in Buffalo Questions

hello,

my mom and I are heading to Niagara Falls Ontario in a few short weeks. We heard that there is great shopping just across the border. (possibly an outlet mall?) Has anyone been? And do you know if there are is a shuttle service available?

thanks a lot.

pam

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping in Buffalo Questions

iltt

No shuttle that I know. Likely because of the potential for border delays when certain shoppers have lengthy declarations.

There's a large outlet mall in NF NY. (It's been through at least 2 name changes) Additionally, further to Buffalo: Galleria Mall is a favourite.

You might want to post your question on either of those websites, or simply use the search box for "shopping mall" on both:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g48261-i182-Niagar…

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g60974-i588-Buffal…

Buffalo
Level Contributor
563 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping in Buffalo Questions

the outlet mall is good but not great. its worth a stop though. the big one is the walden galleria, waldengalleria.com. i recently saw it described, i think on this site, as a very large mall with many stores that still havent made it north of the border...

Buffalo
Level Contributor
563 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping in Buffalo Questions

...declarations??? i think its hilarious when a family is sitting on a bench in the mall ripping all the tags off the clothes they bought...as if the border inspectors arent gonna do anything if they catch you...

Ontario
Level Contributor
464 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping in Buffalo Questions

I live about 1 hour from the border and we often do our shopping in Niagara Falls NY. Our favourite mall is the Prime Outlet mall on Military Road. Most of the time (but not all the time) we find excellent deals on clothing for ourselves and for our kids. I often do well at the Old Navy Outlet and the Gap Outlet. Our kids do well at Carters, Old Navy and occasionally Children's Place. We also hit Target for grocery items that you can't find in Canada (ie. Gerber baby food, kids snacks, etc.) and we find toys way cheaper at Toys R Us in the States. I do not know about a shuttle service as we drive our own car. We find it easier to cross at the Queenston/Lewiston bridge. On the way back into Canada we are always honest about our purchases and we have never been asked to pay duty. They ask for picture id. often though so I'd have it handy if I were you. Have a great trip!

Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
281 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping in Buffalo Questions

I also make the trip once or twice a year to the factory outlets on Military Road in Niagara Falls, USA. Pretty good bargains, but not quite on the scale as other outlet shopping trips I have made in recent years (North Conway, NH; Freeport, ME). Still, worth the trip to me, and I also concur on making sure to stop in at Target, just around the corner from the mall on Niagara Falls Blvd - for some things, the price difference is just insane!

Example: Crystal Light! In the USA you can buy a package of six "tubs" of crystals, each of which makes 2 litres (total of 12 litres) for US$1.99. In Canada, Crystal Light is sold in two-packs, each of which makes 1.5 litres (total of 3 litres) for C$2.49. After exchange, the price is close to the same, but the US package yields FOUR TIMES as much drink mix!

Anyway, there's also a Wal-Mart and Sams Club (if you're a member) also around the corner from the outlet mall.

As mentioned by others, Walden Galleria is Buffalo's big shopping mall, although IMHO, it's not the draw it used to be as sooo many stores that used to be exclusive to the states have come north in the last 5-10 years (e.g. American Eagle, Old Navy, Abercrombie, Linens N Things, Tommy, Apple Store, H&M, Banana Republic, Pottery Barn, William Sonoma)

Noel

6. Re: Shopping in Buffalo Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, August 15, 2009