We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter Festival Of Lights not as good this year

Toronto,Ontario
Level Contributor
639 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Winter Festival Of Lights not as good this year

If anyone is planning on heading to NF to check out the annual Festival Of Lights you might want to know that there is no more Disney Characters as part of it. WFOL parted ways with Disney after 20 years. They now have a 20 Korean Lantern display instead. It really does lack it seems without the Disney characters, as it had been a part of the Festival for 20 years.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
19,149 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter Festival Of Lights not as good this year

Personally I'd rather see the lanterns ... rather than some commercialized Disney pap.

Change is good for you.

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,620 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter Festival Of Lights not as good this year

I'm sorry to hear that. I always enjoyed the Disney touch.

Toronto,Ontario
Level Contributor
639 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter Festival Of Lights not as good this year

If they are to change it up then why not bring in say Warner Brothers characters or even Marvel. Striking a deal with either of them would draw for sure. The Korean Lanterns looked more like just different sized christmas trees to me. I know alot of kids are not happy to no longer see the Disney characters. But I guess money is what it comes down to?

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
19,149 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter Festival Of Lights not as good this year

Better still, why not employ local or regional artisans and designers .... make use of the creative individuals we have in our own backyard. Marvel and Warner Brothers would be just more of the same commercial garbage. Kids need to be stimulated and inspired.

Just like importing the teen cokehead in for the NYE concert.... surely they can do better than that.

Edited: 2:51 pm, December 27, 2013
Toronto,Ontario
Level Contributor
639 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter Festival Of Lights not as good this year

I think you have to look at it from the stand point that you cannot force things on a lot of kids. With so much commercialized, the market is huge on that. Unless the best thing to do is steer away those families from coming to The Falls and cater just to the people who will want artistic etc instead.

My honest opinion is they should scrap the Festival Of Lights. It is a dated event that really is nothing nowadays. Why not replace it with something else that will freshen up the winter time of the year and maybe it will get more people to come out. I mean really NF is a tourist city/destination but it is treated like only spring and summer is what matters. Promoting the city in winter with how beautiful it looks I think is what is lacking. When people say it is cold, yeah and so is Canada and the Northern US, big deal.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winter Festival Of Lights not as good this year

I think they should illuminate McDonalds characters. I mean, artists gotta eat too right? And you just gotta know that all those dopey families would love it. The Hamburgler rules!

Toronto,Ontario
Level Contributor
639 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winter Festival Of Lights not as good this year

HAHAHA Funny thing is there is no Golden Arches on Clifton Hill nor on Fallsview Blvd. Wendy's and BK are on Clifton though.

Hamburgler all the way

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,645 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Winter Festival Of Lights not as good this year

I'm with phpr on letting the locals take over. So sick of the big names controlling everything. Disney owns ABC and has so much control over what we see and hear on the media. But Disney has deep pockets, so yeah, money talks.

Kids--young adults-would enjoy lighting up the area but who pays for the equipment and who overlooks their work to make sure its done correctly ? Thats the problem I believe and oh yeah, who takes the lights down, I could see that part being forgotten about.

9. Re: Winter Festival Of Lights not as good this year

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 29, 2014