We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our Trip Report

Which Niagara Falls hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Carmel, Indiana
Level Contributor
119 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Our Trip Report

Here it is, our trip report.

We left on 6/30 and headed for Port Huron, MI. Our camper tire exploded just east of Battle Creek. The next morning the electric brakes for the camper went out and my husband had to take what was just installed on our week-old truck and re-wire that part of the camper brakes.

It took 45 minutes to get through the border, which was fine considering it was Canada Day. We ran into traffic on the QEW the closer we got to Niagara Falls, making our 3 1/2 hour trip 5 hours long.

We had no trouble with our hotel rate of $33.25/night. The clerks said the rack rate for 7/1 was $210 and our rate was even less than the employee discounted rate!

We walked the 2 miles to the Falls, and stopped at Pizza Pizza for dinner. I didn't know that they're one slice actually means 2 slices, so with our coupons, the 3 of us ended up with 12 pieces of pizza! Paid $18 for 12 slices of pizza, 3 sodas and 3 fries (I've never seen fries come with your pizza meal).

We got to the Falls, and were a little let down because we somehow thought they would be much larger and louder. Anyway, we stayed for the fireworks display (14 minutes). Walking back to the hotel was an adventure; there were tons of people!

On 7/2 we walked back to the Falls and waited one hour and 5 minutes to get our Adventure Pass tickets (mind you I had paid for them via expedia.com a month ago). Only 2 of the 3 lines were running and it took forever! They really need to work on this. It was about 85, sunny and humid.

The Adventure Pass clerk made priority ticket times for us for the White Water Walk, Butterfly Conservatory, and Journey Behind the Falls. We went to the Maid of the Mist first. Waited about 45 minutes more to board. A tip: don't put your poncho on until you are almost ready to board the boat. We waited for 15 minutes in the sun with plastic ponchos on! The Mist staff let some tour group on the boat first and they took the top left side, so we went on the bottom left side; also very good.

After all the waiting for the tickets and Maid of the Mist, we were hot and tired. We looked at our watches and saw that there was no way we could catch the People Mover and make it to the White Water Walk in time, so we skipped it and went to lunch (which we brought).

Next we went to the Butterfly Conservatory (we had 5:00 tickets). The line was out the door, so we waited in line. Once we got to the counter, we found out we were supposed to be in another line for priority tickets. Was there a sign? Yes, WAY inside the building. It took us 1/2 hour to even get into the main building. There were about 75 people in the priority line in front of us, so my husband found someone and complained, and they let us right in. The Butterfly Conservatory was nice, and was not as hot inside as I expected. We spent 1/2 hour in there.

THEN we went outside to wait for the People Mover. We were right up front, but the bus filled up before we got on. During the time the bus in front of us was loading, another pulled up behind and unloaded and loaded from there. All of the people behind us ran for this bus and it filled up too! We waited for 40 minutes for the next bus. By the time we got to Journey Behind the Falls, it was past 7 pm., so we missed our priority seating for that attraction (the last trip is 7 p.m.).

After all of this, we were hot, tired, frustrated, and were not having a good time. We walked back to the hotel, swam and ordered dinner delivered to our hotel from Papa's Pizzeria on Lundy's Lane. We were told our food would arrive in 35 minutes. An hour and 15 minutes later, no food, so we called and were told that they were running late because of traffic. Well, the restaurant is at 8040 Lundy's Lane and our hotel is at 7615. It was 11:00 at night, and in the middle of a thunderstorm. We could see Lundy's Lane from our hotel. There was no traffic. The food was terrible! My 11 year old re-named the ravioli "rubber ravioli", and my burger was so burned it was inedible.

The next day we went to Marineland, and it was great! The show was good and not too long, and the rides were fun. We didn't have to wait longer than 15 minutes to ride any ride. There was a lot of walking, though. My daughter loved the Sky Screamer. I thought I was going to die, but the view from the top is spectacular.

We then went to Clifton Hill and stayed there from 9:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m. We went to Tim Horton's for donuts. They are as good as Dunkin' Donuts here. My daughter made a wax hand, which was cool. We went to Ripley's Museum (good) and the 4D Theater. The 4D theater was ok, and I'm 99% positive that the roller coaster portion of the ride is the American Eagle at Six Flags in Gurnee, Illinois.

We woke the next morning, checked out of our hotel, and camped in Ohio on our way home.

That's it. We had a good time, but wish our first day would have went better.

Anyway, thank you to everyone who answered questions for me before our trip.

One last question: I noticed your milk comes in a bag; ours here comes in its own container. Do you have a special container at home in which you put the milk?

Hamilton, ON
Level Contributor
942 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Our Trip Report

You can buy milk in a variety of containers. A milk bag (actually 3 of them in a pack, 4L total), a carton, and also plastic as the states has them.

Seems like you had a mixed bag of luck with your trip and glad you enjoyed the good parts. :)

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our Trip Report

Hi Kristy-

Enjoyed reading your report-glad the car troubles didn't stop you!

Do you think we'd be better off skipping the priority times and just going on our own schedule? Also, do you have to do everything in 1 day or can you spread it out over 2?

I've been on the American Eagle a million times so I'll check it out and see if I agree with you!

Leaving in 15 hours.......

Beth

Carmel, Indiana
Level Contributor
119 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our Trip Report

Beth - Re the American Eagle, my husband and I just looked at eachother and said "the Eagle"! It looks just like it, but from when the park was in its earlier years. It looks like a 70s film. We've been on it a million times too. Let me know if you think that's it!

I don't know if you can spread the passes out over two days, but I'd check. Yes, go at your own pace instead of the priority tickets! I think even if you showed up late you would still get in, but just packing all of those attractions in one day is pushing it, in my opinion, especially when it is sooo busy.

Have fun!!

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our Trip Report

I know it's high tourist season but do you think it was busier since it was the weekend and Canada Day? We'll be there next Thursday and Friday and were planning on doing all that Friday.

Thanks!

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our Trip Report

Me again-just checked online and it says you don't have to do it all in one day, which is good. I'm also thinking I'll go ahead and buy them online to avoid the wait you encountered.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
910 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our Trip Report

If you get a chance, try Niagara Falls in the winter. It is a whole different experience without the crowds and in fact the Falls themselves are prettier.

Niagara falls,Canada
Level Contributor
688 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Our Trip Report

Yes, there are plastic 1 litre containers to put those milk bags in.

They're about 2 dollars and pop right in the dishwasher to keep them clean.

The bag milk is a little less expensive and saves space and reduces waste.

Hope you had a good enough time to consider visiting us again.

Holiday weekends are horrible to travel on.

That pizza place, Papa's,is strictly for tourists.

No one who lives here would ever order from there.

Carmel, Indiana
Level Contributor
119 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our Trip Report

Beth, I DID order the tickets online (via expedia.com), but you still have to go to the "Welcome Center" and get the actual tickets. I thought I was saving a step, too!

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Our Trip Report

Oh, I missed that-thanks for letting me know!

10. Re: Our Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, August 16, 2009