We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which side should I stay when visiting niagara falls?

Brooklyn, New York...
2 posts
Save Topic
Which side should I stay when visiting niagara falls?

I am planing on visiting Niagara falls next month. Wanna to know which side should I stay? American or caniandian side?

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
22,988 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which side should I stay when visiting niagara falls?

A simple search of the NF forum will show you that this question has often been asked before, and the general consensus is to stay in Canada. More hotels and things to do, as well as better views of both sets of Falls.

Note you will require a passport.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Brooklyn, Ohio
Level Contributor
684 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which side should I stay when visiting niagara falls?

Yes, definitely stay on the Canadian side. There is much more to see and do, both during the day and at night.

The state park on the American side is beautiful, so you should plan about half a day to drive or walk across the Rainbow Bridge to visit the park.

Mentioned in this post
Rainbow Bridge
Rainbow Bridge
1,493 Reviews
Niagara Falls, Canada
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
29,282 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which side should I stay when visiting niagara falls?

And again..........another vote for staying on the Canadian side of The Falls..........

Chicago
Level Contributor
3,125 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which side should I stay when visiting niagara falls?

Another vote for making sure you have your passport (or passport card/enhanced ID).

That being said, please tell us about your trip, like who's going, how many people, what do you wish to do and see, what's your budget, how long will you be there, and how are you getting there?

That being said, the Canadian side is much nicer than the NY side in terms of things to do away from the Falls.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
6,072 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which side should I stay when visiting niagara falls?

I;m paying just $40 a night flat for a clean safe motel room on Lundy's Lane, try to do that on the US side, lol

And if you want, you can spend a bit more and be closer to the falls. If you look like on Priceline, you can see how generally the hotel rates are cheaper on the Canadian side. If that alone doesn't sway you, then read the Niagara NY Gazette police calls for a week or two, lol. Its just better-safer on the Canadian side and yeah, there is more to do.

Yet the US state park is worth a visit now and then--if it seems not too busy. Last Tuesday was a total mess, I seen cars lined up before the Queenston Bridge, Why the US believes it needs to train for attacks I don't know, don't they get enough real life experience ?

Edited: 4:57 pm, September 19, 2013
New Haven...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which side should I stay when visiting niagara falls?

The Canadian site says we don't need a passport, but everyone keeps saying to take one. I really don't want to drive 7 hours to find out I can't get in!

"When you enter Canada, a CBSA officer may ask to see your passport and a valid visa, if one is necessary. If you are a citizen of the United States, you do not need a passport to enter Canada. However, you should carry proof of your citizenship, such as a birth certificate, certificate of citizenship or naturalization, as well as photo identification. If you are a permanent resident of Canada or the U.S, you should bring your Permanent Resident Card with you." cbsa.gc.ca/security-securite/admiss-eng.html

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
United States
United States
North America
New Haven...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which side should I stay when visiting niagara falls?

cbsa.gc.ca/security-securite/admiss-eng.html

Non-Canadians

"When you enter Canada, a CBSA officer may ask to see your passport and a valid visa, if one is necessary. If you are a citizen of the United States, you do not need a passport to enter Canada. However, you should carry proof of your citizenship, such as a birth certificate, certificate of citizenship or naturalization, as well as photo identification. If you are a permanent resident of Canada or the U.S, you should bring your Permanent Resident Card with you."

Which is it? Do I need one or not? I'd really love to not drive 7 hours to not be able to get in because I don't have a passport...please help!

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
United States
United States
North America
gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,577 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which side should I stay when visiting niagara falls?

You don't need a passport to enter Canada, But you need a passport to return to the U.S. This is a requirement of the U.S.A.

That is why they cxheck at the Canadian border.

<<Under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, as of January 23, 2007, citizens of both Canada and the United States were required to present a valid passport at a U.S. Preclearance Facility -- located at all major Canadian airports -- prior to boarding their flight to the United States. Beginning June 1, 2009, it was established that travelers entering the U.S. through a land or sea border must present a passport or WHTI-compliant document. >>

Edited: 10:58 pm, September 19, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
United States
United States
North America
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which side should I stay when visiting niagara falls?

You have a month to get a passport....I suggest you start filling out some paperwork.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
79,443 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which side should I stay when visiting niagara falls?

Hi Nancy;

The Canadian Government websites are correct...you do NOT require a passport to enter Canada, by land

BUT...

you DO require one of the following to re-enter the United States.

• U.S. Passport

• U.S. Passport Card

• Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL)

• Trusted Traveler Program Card

Kids 15 and under just need their birth certificates.

www.knowyourborder.gov

Best Regards

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
United States
United States
North America