We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip

Wales
Level Contributor
244 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Road Trip

Only 5 weeks until our road trip and starting to get excited. We are driving from New York to Philadelphia, Lancaster, Erie, Niagara and back to New York. We have 4 nights in Niagra.

What will the weather be like at the start of October so we know what to pack.

Also which side is best for the pass for falls experiances. Also looking at visiting Niagara on the Lake any thoughts on this. We are staying at Two Rivers B&B which have had good reviews.

Are you able to walk to the falls from there. We do loads of walking.

gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,378 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip

You can walk, just over 2 miles (3.4km)

http://goo.gl/maps/Lg9yU

Weather can vary from cold and rainy to warm, even hot. It's fall weather.

Canadian side would be best for falls experience. Much more here but if you have time, a visit to U.S. side can be done by walking across the Rainbow Bridge (passport required) and catching trolley to Goat Island

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
9,076 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip

That is in the Chippawa area of Niagara Falls, not really very close to anything. As stated, over 2 miles to the Falls, but just under a mile to the Rapidsview Parking lot, the southern terminus of the WEGO Green line, where you can catch a bus to all of the attractions.

NIagara Falls...
Level Contributor
815 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip

Chippawa is a nice quiet area; but as mentioned by fallsdude; you'll be far from anything 'touristy'. Since it's a 'road trip', you'll have a car and can quickly drive to the Falls attraction district. Early October is jacket weather. We very seldom get any snow till November at the earliest.

Walking is an option, and you can use the Niagara Parks Commission's recreation trail along the Niagara River to reach the Falls and Queen Victoria Park.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,485 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip

I definitely think you should see Niagara On The Lake...........it's a lovely, picturesque town, about 12 miles from Niagara Falls, and you can drive the scenic Niagara Parkway to get there...........early October weather will be changeable.....it could be warm and sunny, or cool and sunny or raining, or anything really.....bring a light jacket and/or layers...shorts or jeans both may be applicable.........

For some great information on the town, click on the blue link contained within this post..............

Edited: 9:16 am, August 27, 2013
Wales
Level Contributor
244 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Trip

Walkingthe Niagara Parks Commission's recreation trail sounds good as you get to see things you dont normally. We would also like to try and eat where the locals eat as it is not so touristy if you have any recomdations.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
19,236 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road Trip

Read this ongoing post about where the locals eat:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154998-i97-k67563…

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road Trip

soupdragon, I did a family road trip from Philly to Niagara Falls and Toronto a few years a go, so you might find my triplist worthwhile to read

We traveled via Corning NY and the Finger Lakes region. Corning is a worthwhile stop and the Finger Lakes region is also picturesque. tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i20522-Philadel…

Wales
Level Contributor
244 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road Trip

We are going to stay in Binghampton on the way back and drive via Finger Lakes. We have looked to see that it is only 1 1/2 hours drive so will do some stops on the way. Our last stop will be Parsippany as it is not far then to drive to JFK for our flight back. The problem we have is choosing what to do in 2 weeks for such a big country. Its about doing the most intresting things, getting the flavour of the area and do as much as possible. Its hard to choose. We had the same problem last year when we starte off in San Frnacisco and ended up in Las Vegas. It is only 4 weeks away now and we are getting excited.

Thanks for all you help and advice.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road Trip

You might consider 2 nights in Niagara Falls and then 2 nights in Toronto. NF is about 90 minutes from Toronto. I'd be a shame to be so close and miss Canada's biggest city (4th largest in North America). Lots to see and do in Toronto....ideally about 5 nights would be perfect but 2 would be fine.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
19,236 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road Trip

I note that most of your travel is in the United States, except for your brief stop in Niagara. If you are driving a rental car, make sure you advise them you will be crossing the border into Canada, as failure to do so could affect any agreements you have with them concerning unlimited mileage, insurance, etc. Indeed - some companies will not allow their vehicles to cross the border, so just be sure to double-check.

As UK citizens all you need are your passports to enter Canada.