We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

7 posts
Save Topic
Tipping

What is the mandatory tipping charge in Canada now ? Last time I was over it was around 12%.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,138 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping

Hi Paul ~

I wouldn't say tipping is "mandatory", but it is a big part of our culture. The range for tipping is probably from 15-20% and the amount is totally up to the person who is giving the tip, based on the service at the time. There have been times when I've left barely 15 and other times I've left a full 20. A totally individual and situational choice.

Here's a TA Traveller Article that discusses this topic.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153339-s606/Canada:T…

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping

I have my own little system.

If service is "out of this world" and the food "to die for" I'll leave over 20%, sometimes 25%.

If service and food was very good I'll leave 20%

If service and food was average I'll leave 15%.

If the service (if the wait staff is rude or snotty) and the food was below average I have no problem leaving 10%. This rarely happens but if I'm not pleased I don't care if I stiff them.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping

Sometimes stiffing them sends a message though, I have no problem doing so when needed...

Whitehorse
Level Contributor
857 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping

When exactly did we hear about the 20% tip for the first time ?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
391 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping

stiffing them does not send a message at all. Whenever you stiff them, they think you are a jerk and tell all of their co workers what jerks you were. If things are bad enough to not leave a tip then you should complain to a manager. Sometimes they will give you a discount but moreover, they will say something to the server which definitely sends a message. If you are unable to speak professionally with a manager or you don't like to complain then you should send an email to corporate if it is a chain. Just my opinion.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping

Just to clarify, I meant that 10% was stiffing them. I don't think I've ever left zero dollars.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
391 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping

oh yeah I see that when I read the 2 messages together. I have no problems leaving 10% but like I said above, even if I am doing that then I must be mad about something so I am talking to a manager.

Maybe I feel that way because I was in retail management for 15 years.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,138 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping

I once arrived at a restaurant for lunch and was welcomed just fine, seated just fine, and order taken just fine. The meal was delivered just fine, then ...... that's it! No server for a good hour, no how's everything, someone else refilled the coffee. Nary a sign. No bill brought over. When I was ready to leave I went up to the hostess' table to get the bill. My server came forward at that point. I asked her right there and then, "Did you go for lunch?" Puzzled, she said no. I outlined what I just said above and added, "You understand why I'm not leaving a tip." She did. My only experience of zero tip.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping

Ahhh yes, the old disappearing act. Can't stand when that happens.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping

I think leaving an insulting tip, not completely nothing, sends a message and has worked for me in the past....