We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buffalo to Niagra Falls

LaBelle, Florida
Level Contributor
25 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Buffalo to Niagra Falls

I've never really travelled outside of the U.S and feel quite ignorant on what to do. I currently hold a passport card, will I need anything else? My family will be getting passport booklets.

How easy is it to get to the Canadian side of the falls from Buffalo? (Customs)

Thanks for any information.

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
9,194 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buffalo to Niagra Falls

To leave and re-enter the U.S., adult citizens (16 and older) need one of: passport, passport card, a Nexus or Fast card, OR an enhanced drivers license, and nothing else. Children 15 and under require birth certificates. Although these requirement are U.S. only, Canadian customs officers will ask for the same things to ensure that you CAN return home.

Buffalo is about 20 miles from Niagara Falls. Transportation options are:

1. rent a car

2. Greyhound or Coach Canada bus from Buffalo Airport to Niagara Falls, ON - about $10 each way

3. Taxi or shuttle - $70-$100 each way for 3-4 people

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,773 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buffalo to Niagra Falls

Welcome to TripAdvisor, Miss_Van8;

Crossing the border is pretty straight forward. Just answer the questions asked of you, clearly, straightforward, and to the point. Usually, it’s something along the line of;

• Citizenship?

• Destination?

• Purpose of your trip?

• How long will you be in Canada?

• Are you bringing any gifts into Canada ?

• Are you bringing any firearms into Canada?

• Are you bringing any fruits or vegetables into Canada ?

Some suggestions to make things run more smoothly;

• Do not make jokes.

• Remove your sunglasses, if applicable.

• Look at the border guard when speaking.

• Speak clearly

• Speak with respect

• Again…do NOT make jokes.

• Answer questions with straight forward replies.

• Only answer the question that is asked of you – don’t babble.

The border guards are trained to "read" people. Remain calm, be straight forward with your replies, and be truthful at all times. You'll most likely be one of the 99% of the people that cross the border and will wonder what all the fuss was about.

Best Regards

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,119 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buffalo to Niagra Falls

Once in Canada, here are few other things to be aware of:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153339-s601/Canada:B…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153339-c1391/Canada:…

LaBelle, Florida
Level Contributor
25 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buffalo to Niagra Falls

FallsDude, thank you for the information. I should be all set then. We are driving from Buffalo, so transportation will not be a problem.

Edited: 10:30 pm, July 17, 2013
LaBelle, Florida
Level Contributor
25 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buffalo to Niagra Falls

Rescue Team,

Thanks for the details! I'm sure it will be fine, as people do it everyday. I just like to be as prepared as possible and know what to expect.

Phpr,

Great links! Thanks for sharing. I liked the tip of not calling American currency "real dollars". Lol (I would never, it's rude!)

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,773 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buffalo to Niagra Falls

You're Welcome !

NYC
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Buffalo to Niagra Falls

We will be doing a family vacation to Niagara Falls next month . We will be flying into Buffalo and staying on the Canadian side. What is the border crossing like? We will most likely be travelling by taxi service. Do we need to get out of the car? to go through customs etc . We have small children and older grandparents with us so any details of the schematics can help us plan ahead. TIA!

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
527 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buffalo to Niagra Falls

Well Hello There :)... we are very friendly people over in Canada, so don’t you worry about crossing the border. I have done it couple of times going to buffalo.

1. Firstly you will need the papers to cross the border. This is what is required:

“Identification for U. S. citizens and permanent residents

If you are a U.S. citizen, ensure you carry proof of citizenship such as a passport, birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization, a U.S. Permanent Resident Card, or a Certificate of Indian Status along with photo identification.”

You can read more about it on:

cbsa.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ifvc-rpvc-eng.html

Don’t worry about the border guards, they are pretty nice on the Canadian side :D

2. Once that is done make sure to book a nice hotel, either through expedia.ca or hotels.ca… there is lot of those sites.

3. Get the cash… US dollar is higher right now so you will get more Canadian dollars.

4. Then it’s fun time… there is lots to do this side of the falls and here are some links to help you plan it.

http://www.niagarafallstourism.com/play/

tripadvisor.ca/Attractions-g154998-Activitie…

niagarafallstourism.com/plan/…

5. Now if you are buying things over in Canada. Here is the site to Custom Allowance limit

www.dutyfreecanada.com/customs-allowances/

Hope this gives you some idea. Have fun and awesome trip to NF

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
9,194 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buffalo to Niagra Falls

Although BSurahyo's information about crossing the border is technically correct for entering Canada, the requirements for re-entering the U.S. are quite different.

Persons 16 and older require a passport, passport card, enhanced drivers license or frequent traveller card. Persons 15 and under require birth certificates. Because of this, Canadian Customs will ask for these same documents to ensure that you will be able to return to the U.S.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,773 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buffalo to Niagra Falls

>>"Get the cash… US dollar is higher right now so you will get more Canadian dollars."<<

Hi Miss_Van8 & CCeee;

Many businesses will accept American currency as a courtesy to American tourists. Businesses that choose to accept US dollars set their own exchange rate, so you may find the rate different from store to store, and the rate will NOT be in your favour.

Most places will take credit cards, however there may be fees over and above the exchange rate charged by the credit card issuer. Some credit cards have a Foreign Usage Fee tacked on for usage outside of the issuing country. Check with your card issuer for exact details.

You could always use your bank card to withdraw money from an ATM. Check with your bank to find which Canadian banks they have an agreement with and then utilize that Canadian bank’s ATM for the fewest / cheapest fees & surcharges.

For some money saving tips, have a look at the traveller article “Canada – Banks & Money” here on TA.

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g153339-s601/Canada:Ba…

Best Regards