We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car in Buffalo and driving across the border...

VA
6 posts
Save Topic
Renting a car in Buffalo and driving across the border...

I asked my insurance company if there was anything special I needed to do with regards to renting a car in Buffalo and going across the border. He seems to think there is something I need but I haven't found anything on the canadian border site or anywhere else.

Anyone know??

Thanks in advance.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
258 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car in Buffalo and driving across the border...

We did the same thing on our trip. We rented through Avis, at the Buffalo airport, and upon booking I asked the same thing. You will need proof of citizenship if you are a US resident to cross either way. But you have to have that no matter how you cross the border. Other than that you do not need anything. We crossed a total of 4 times...never really had a problem, just answer the questions they ask, have your passport or birth certicate ready along w/ your license, and you will be fine!!!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a car in Buffalo and driving across the border...

According to Avis.com you need a A Canadian non-resident insurance card to cross into Canada (you don't NEED it to get into the country, but it's probley important just incase of an accident while travelling within Canada)

See this link for more information:

https:/…US_Border_Crossing.jsp

Budget.com had this in there Frequently Asked Questions section (quoted from the website):

"Can I take the vehicle out of state/country?

Cross-border regulations vary by location. On occasion, permission for border crossing must be acquired from the local rental office directly. In the event that specific restrictions or additional information is required, it's always best, prior to date of pick up, to ask about any cross-border restrictions. Inquire either at the rental counter or simply contact us in the U.S"

The link to that is: budget.com/budgetWeb/…

VA
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a car in Buffalo and driving across the border...

Thanks guys.

4. Re: Renting a car in Buffalo and driving across the border...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 pm, August 16, 2009