We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some Advice on Niagara Falls

Which Niagara Falls hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bentonville...
Level Contributor
20 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Some Advice on Niagara Falls

Greetings Trip Advisor Helpers!

I will be coming up to the Niagara Falls Area toward the end of May. Can anyone help answer the following questions:

What kind of toll roads can I expect? I will be following the Lake Erie shore line so I will be coming in by way of Buffalo, NY it looks like. I have heard to expect $10.00 tolls at some places. Is this accurate?

I also will be staying 5 nights or so on the Canada side. I want to maybe swing over to Toronto and catch a blue jays baseball game. Are the signs in this part of Canada in English or French?

I know my hotel is charging 12.00 a night in parking, what other fees might I expect in the area?

If you had to pick 3 attractions for an old married couple to see what would they be?

Thank you as always!!!

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,532 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some Advice on Niagara Falls

Hi Islic2;

1) You may have better luck asking on the NY & Ohio state forums. No tolls on the Canadian side, in the area of Niagara Falls.

2) Road signs are in English.

3) Parking should be the only car related fees.

4)

- Maid of the Mist

- The Butterfly Conservatory

- Helicopter ride over the Falls

I hope that helps get you started.

Just a reminder…citizens of the United States require one of the following to cross the border by land.

• U.S. Passport

• U.S. Passport Card

• Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL)

• Trusted Traveler Program Card

Kids 15 and under just need their birth certificates.

For complete details;

http://www.knowyourborder.gov/

Best Regards

Chicago
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some Advice on Niagara Falls

Maid of the Mist is one of the "must see" attractions as far as I can tell. Other attractions high on my list are Goat Island, Skylon Tower and Journey behind the falls. I believe the road signs are in English. As for fees, I'd expect fees for WiFi, parking at the attractions, and the 3% DMF(?) fee the hotels try and tack on to your bill.

Bentonville...
Level Contributor
20 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some Advice on Niagara Falls

Thanks for the tip on the DMF fees I hadn't heard of that before. Just another way for them to have their hands in your pocket it sounds like.

Brooklyn, Ohio
Level Contributor
641 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some Advice on Niagara Falls

Hello Islic2,

In regards to tolls, I'm assuming you'll be taking I-70 to I-71 to I-90? If so, you will pay no tolls in Ohio. The only toll road in Ohio is the Ohio Turnpike and you will not be on the Turnpike if you are following the route I described above. I-90 through PA is not a toll road. I-90 in New York is part of the New York State Thruway and is a toll road. I have an EZ Pass and have not paid attention to the cost of using the Thruway to get to Niagara Falls, but I do believe the cost will be well under $10.00, probably even under $5.00. The only other toll you should encounter is to get across the Peace Bridge or Rainbow Bridge. I believe that toll is around $3.00. So, your toll fees should be under $10.00 each way.

Have you decided if you'll use the Peace Bridge or Rainbow Bridge? We like using the Peace Bridge and then getting off at Central Ave immediately after the border crossing and following the Niagara Parkway to the Falls. Much more scenic than staying on I-190 on the American side.

In addition to the attractions already recommended, don't miss Niagara-on-the-Lake on the shores of Lake Ontario.

Niagara Falls, New...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Some Advice on Niagara Falls

how would you sugguest getting from the Amtrax station to my hotel in Niagara falls I'm staying at the Embassy Suite

Chicago
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some Advice on Niagara Falls

Two things Gina. 1) It's best to start your own topic rather than jumping into one about someone else's questions and 2) look to the top right hand side of this page under "top questions". There are several reads up there about getting to/from Niagara

Bentonville...
Level Contributor
20 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some Advice on Niagara Falls

Thank you all for your advice. I do have one or two more follow ups I do plan on going across Peace Bridge to enter Canada. I already found out that I have to notify my bank if I want to use my debit card in other countries. How about American dollars. I know lots of border towns generally take both local and out of country currency so I assume it will be the same in Niagara falls but not sure about Toronto. Feedback or help?

Brooklyn, Ohio
Level Contributor
641 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Some Advice on Niagara Falls

Glad to hear you plan on using the Peace Bridge. After entering Canada, when using the Peace Bridge, you have two options to get to Niagara Falls. You can either take the QEW or the Niagara Parkway. I'd recommend that you take a look at an online map to become familiar with the routes.

As I stated above, we prefer the Niagara Parkway. If you decide to use the Niagara Parkway, get off at Central Ave., which is immediately after the border crossing. Taking Central Ave. also gives you two options.

Option 1 is to not turn onto Central. Go straight onto Queen St. which will lead you to the Niagara Parkway. Make a left and follow the river.

Option 2 is to turn left onto Central and after a short while you will dead-end at the Parkway and you should make a left onto the Parkway and follow the river.

Also, once in Chippawa it can get a little confusing as well. You'll want to make a right on Portage Rd. and then right onto Macklem St. Which continues as the Niagara Parkway.

I've never heard about having to notify your bank that you'll be using your debit card in a different country. We have never notified our bank and have never had an issue using our debit card in Canada. Perhaps each bank has separate policies?

In regards to using Canadian currency, here is a recent post that discussed this very topic...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154998-i97-k63393…

If you plan on using mostly cash while in Canada you should exchange your currency but if you plan on using your debit card for most transactions, it is probably not necessary.

Chicago
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Some Advice on Niagara Falls

Wendy-n-Tom: Most banks these days suggest you notify them whenever traveling, otherwise your account might be flagged as stolen/compromised and your funds frozen. I suppose if it's normal for you to jump around and make transactions in Canada it might not throw up a flag for your bank. With my bank I just give them a call and let them know where and when I'm traveling and I've not had any problems. I've read many posts, particularly in the Paris and London forums, with horror stories of people landing internationally and trying to get cash from an ATM or pay for something and not having access to their funds without having to spend quite a while on the phone with customer service.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
17,725 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Some Advice on Niagara Falls

As for using American currency in Toronto, you will find it accepted in some places .... at an exchange rate that will not be in your favour. Since US currency is not legal tender in this country, those businesses that accept it do so as a courtesy, and can set whatever exchange rate they choose. It is always a good idea to have some Canadian currency in Toronto. You may find, for example, that your US credit card does not work in some machines (like parking meters). And as noted above - it is the polite thing to do when in a foreign country.

In Ontario, the predominant language on signs is English - although you may see some which are in both English & French.