We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Picking up drinks and snacks for the room - where to go?

Chicago
Level Contributor
3,122 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Picking up drinks and snacks for the room - where to go?

Hi all,

We'll be in Niagara in just under a month, staying at the Marriott Fallsview Spa Hotel. What would be the most convenient place to pick up some snacks and some beverages for the room? We'll probably just get a case of water, some juice and chips/crackers of some sort.

I see there is a MacKinnon Guardian Drugs and Falls Pharmacy, as well as Avondale right down Dunn St. Would these be ok, or should we head out to a bigger store for better prices? We'll have a rental car so getting places isn't a problem. I've heard Shoppers Drug Mart mentioned on here before, and it's not much further away. Any supermarkets near?

Also, the ability for late night trips to satisfy the expecting wife's cravings would be nice!

Thanks in advance.

Chicago
Level Contributor
3,122 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Picking up drinks and snacks for the room - where to go?

I also see the No Frills store has been mentioned several times. Looks like it's only a 5 minute drive, so that looks like the place for me, unless other suggestions are offered.

Naples, New York
Level Contributor
349 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Picking up drinks and snacks for the room - where to go?

This is a really nice grocery store...

http://www.commissosfreshfoods.com/

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
19,149 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Picking up drinks and snacks for the room - where to go?

No Frills would be the perfect place for what you need.

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
9,061 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Picking up drinks and snacks for the room - where to go?

About equal distance from your hotel (3km, 5 minutes) are No Frills, on Lundy's Lane, and Food Basics on McLeod Rd. Either of these will have the best prices for your 'essentials' (Food Basics even has a wine outlet), much cheaper than a convenience store. Walmart Supercentre is another minute past Food Basics. If there is an off hours food emergency, the Shoppers Drug Mart on Lundy's Lane is open 24 hours.

Chicago
Level Contributor
3,122 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Picking up drinks and snacks for the room - where to go?

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm sure either Food Basics or No Frills will work fine! Food Basics is open until late, so hopefully won't need the 24hour drug store!

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
9,061 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Picking up drinks and snacks for the room - where to go?

Just FYI, the Shoppers has basic groceries and incidentals also.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,461 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Picking up drinks and snacks for the room - where to go?

Sam........Shopper's Drug Mart is like Walgreen's, and they frequently have "goodies/munchies" on sale..

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,645 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Picking up drinks and snacks for the room - where to go?

I love the commisso but its pretty far from where you be at. No Frills would be the cheapest. Don't even think about buying bottle water near your hotel, you pay the same price for one large bottle as you would for a case over at No Frills. Your rental car will come in handy. Near No Frills there is fast food places all around with better prices, still higher then here in the states but not outrageous. Look for specials on the windows or ask before you order.

Chicago
Level Contributor
3,122 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Picking up drinks and snacks for the room - where to go?

We're not big time fast food lovers, and already have several places picked out for lunch and dinner. Breakfast is included with the room. That being said, never know when a milkshake will be needed!

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Picking up drinks and snacks for the room - where to go?

There is a very good restaurant called Fallsview Dining Room where you can find thing like ice cream, waffles, and all types of American/Canadian cooked meals. But for sure the best of your options is going for the Commissos option. It is relatively close and they have excellent prices and products. It is worth the drive. It is like 5 to 10 minutes away from your hotel. I believe there is some kind of store at the hotel but I am not pretty sure about this. It could actually be at the other Marriot near by. But anyway you may ask in the front desk what is the most convenient place to go.