We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rainbow Bridge or Fort Erie Bridge?

Which Niagara Falls hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
95 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Rainbow Bridge or Fort Erie Bridge?

I fly into Buffalo on a Sunday night (June 23rd) and arrive after 10:00 pm. My plan is to stay at a cheap hotel on the Canadian side around Niagara that night (just to get some sleep) and then leave early the next morning to drive to Toronto. Which bridge is faster at that time of night - the Rainbow Bridge or the Fort Erie Bridge?

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
8,623 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rainbow Bridge or Fort Erie Bridge?

Late on a Sunday night, it probably won't make any difference, but I'd pick the Peace Bridge, just because it's an easier trip.

If you have the opportunity, you can call 1-800-715-6722 to get the wait times on the bridges or check this web site: niagarafallsbridges.com/traffic_conditions.p…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rainbow Bridge or Fort Erie Bridge?

Late Sunday won't make much of a difference....depending on what time you have to be in Toronto, you may consider just driving the extra distance to Toronto because Monday morning traffic in the GTA can be terrible....

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,496 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rainbow Bridge or Fort Erie Bridge?

X2, I would just drive straight to Toronto and be done with the drive.

If you want to save a bit, then book a hotel off Hotwire and stay in say Burlington, there is usually a 2...2 1/2 star hotel shown in that town for a reasonable price and parking is included I believe. The map area is small so looks to be close the the QEW and you be a good halfway to Toronto vs staying in Niagara for that night.

Edited: 5:53 pm, March 09, 2013
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
95 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rainbow Bridge or Fort Erie Bridge?

At about what time does the traffic start getting better in Toronto on a Monday morning? If I leave at about 7:30 or 8:00 am from the Niagara area, will I still hit the terrible traffic?

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
16,676 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rainbow Bridge or Fort Erie Bridge?

Leave at 7:30 and you'll be in it... leave at 8 and you'll be near the end of it...

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,496 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rainbow Bridge or Fort Erie Bridge?

Around 7 am to 9 am is the worst part, so yeah, leaving Niagara at 8 am you be in the tail end by the time you start heading east.

Tune in to AM 680 news for traffic updates and have GPS or maps..road closers or long-long back ups can and do happen.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rainbow Bridge or Fort Erie Bridge?

I'd leave Niagara after 9am. Leaving at 8am means you'll be in Burlington by around 8:45 (which is 30 minutes from downtown Toronto and Burlington is where the traffic usually begins) so you'll still be in the thick of it.

I do the drive daily as I live in Burlington and at 8:45am it's still pretty heavy....not as heavy as 7:30 or 8am but still heavy enough that you'll be in stop and go situations at certain points.

Sleep in, have a nice breakfast and then make your way to Toronto would be my best advice......or better yet, as suggested, do the drive from Buffalo to Toronto which will take you about 1 hour and 45 minutes.

In my opinion the faster way would be to take the Rainbow Bridge due to the location of the airport.

Edited: 10:24 pm, March 09, 2013
gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rainbow Bridge or Fort Erie Bridge?

I would take the Peace Bridge as it is all highway. You need to go through the city with stoplights for the Rainbow bridge.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Rainbow Bridge or Fort Erie Bridge?

I'd join in the chorus to take the Peace Bridge because it puts you straight onto the QEW (Queen Elizabeth Way) and then put in the hour's drive into the Toronto area for the night. I wouldn't recommend staying as far out as Burlington; that just has you going through the full length of the worst of the traffic in the morning. There's a decent enough motel on Evans Avenue near where the 427 and QEW meet that'd meet your needs of a place to put your head for the night with the added advantage that if the Gardiner Expressway is traffic-riddled when you need to leave, you can take Evans as far along as Islington Avenue before getting onto the Gardiner and avoiding a good chunk of the worst traffic along that section.

And I'd second stillsmoking's advice about 680 AM for their traffic reports (every 10 minutes on the 1s [:01, :11, :21, etc]) or if you miss it, 1010 AM every 15 minutes (:00, :15 etc).

HTH

u

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rainbow Bridge or Fort Erie Bridge?

Sorry, I was wrong on the Rainbow. I meant the Whirlpool Bridge that takes you right onto the 405 which joins up with the QEW. You would go through Grand Island along the I-190 which ends at the Whirlpool Bridge at Queenston/Lewiston.

I can't understand why anyone would want to backtrack to go to the Peace Bridge. I've flown out of Buffalo countless times and I wouldn't even consider driving down to Fort Erie to go to the airport. It would take 20 minutes longer.

From the airport take I-290 West to I-190 North to the border. Then take Hwy 405 to the QEW. Fast and easy.