We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rainbow Bridge Walk

Toronto,Ontario
Level Contributor
669 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Rainbow Bridge Walk

I found out from Canada Customs today that you do not have to walk to the US Side once you pay your 50 cent toll. You can just walk out on the bridge to take pictures no problem etc. You just need the proper documents to comback into Canada Customs is all. I called today to ask and was told you can walk out as far as you want but do not have to go to the American side, you can turn back anytime out on the bridge and you just have to go through Canada Customs with your passport, driver's license etc. I thought you had to proceed all the way over.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rainbow Bridge Walk

Makes sense. Driving across there is the problem with turning the car around but walking its no problem to turn around.

The view is pretty good from the bridge and its just 50 cents a person.

Toronto,Ontario
Level Contributor
669 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rainbow Bridge Walk

I love the view of all The Falls and the view of the Niagara Falls skyline from there. You can get some really nice photos from the Bridge.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,168 posts
777 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rainbow Bridge Walk

Makes sense and the photos would be stellar, though it can sure get windy on the bridge!

Toronto,Ontario
Level Contributor
669 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rainbow Bridge Walk

Windy is rigfht, we got about a quarter of tge way across and that wind poicked up and was cold.

Toronto,Ontario
Level Contributor
669 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rainbow Bridge Walk

Sorry for the spelling errors, replied from my cellphone.

That wind does pick up and man it got cold on your face about a quarter of the way across. But what a view! Now I can't imagine walking over the Peace Bridge being too good. That wind would be too much.

Edited: 9:06 am, January 09, 2013
detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rainbow Bridge Walk

Or the Queenston bridge, what a hike it be.

Here in Michigan we can't walk or bicycle across the bridges to Canada. Nope, to go to Windsor and back its $9 a car, you gotta pay $4.50 each way. Somebody should sue, lol. Then you have to pay for parking right near the riverfront in Windsor. Makes going for an afternoon bike ride a costly trip, $20 once I factor in gas for the 30 min drive each way from my house. I don't go to Windsor as often as I like to, might as well save my pennies and head to London or Niagara now and then.

I guess there is a Tunnel bus that is cheaper but so much hassle it seems and I still get stuck paying for parking on the Detroit riverfront, might as well just drive across.

Edited: 11:51 am, January 09, 2013
Toronto,Ontario
Level Contributor
669 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rainbow Bridge Walk

I remember being able to walk across the Whirlpool Bridge. Now you can't which would suck if you were to attend an event at the Rapids Theater and have to go over the Rainbow Bridge instead.

I often wonder if many people do walk across the Peace Bridge to Buffalo or Ft Erie. I seen the sidewalk and it is not like the Rainbow sidewalk. The vehicles seem to come too close and it doesn't seem as organized for pedestrian traffic as the Rainbow Bridge setup.

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
9,215 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rainbow Bridge Walk

The Rainbow and Peace Bridges are the only ones that allow pedestrians/bicycles. While the Niagara Falls Bridge Commission charges 50¢ for them on the Rainbow Bridge, the Buffalo and Fort Erie Public Bridge Authority (both of which are private companies that own the bridges - tolls have nothing to do with either government) has no toll for pedestrians or bicyclists.

I can see why people walk across the Rainbow Bridge, since the Falls and attractions are close on each side, but I can't think of any reason why anyone would walk across the Peace Bridge.

9. Re: Rainbow Bridge Walk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, January 11, 2014