We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency conversion.....rising?

Which Niagara Falls hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
112 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Currency conversion.....rising?

Ok got a question.....we're coming in from Chicago end of May and have been saving our US $$$ in a cup for a while and planned on converting prior to trip, but have noticed an increase in the in the conversion rate, is this trend likely to continue? Would it be to my advantage to convert now to get more for my $$ or should I wait it out?

Thanks!

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency conversion.....rising?

Hey, There, I heard that the Canadian Dollar Reach 90 Cents American The Other, Day. However we always rise and then fall, so if I were you I think i'd wait at least a week or to before do a conversion.

Pibb,

Hamilton, ON
Level Contributor
942 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency conversion.....rising?

There are predictions that within 12 months the CAD & USD may be on par, so the choice it up to you.

htm
St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
243 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency conversion.....rising?

most economists are predicting an increase in the next few months so I would go for it now.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
786 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency conversion.....rising?

Does anyone think Canadian hotels will offer a discount on the US dollar if(when) they become equal. Back when the Canadian dollar was 30,40 even 50% less I think American places offered discounts to canadians who came to the US to shop, escape the cold,etc.

Not to sound like a greedy American, but I think tourism there will suffer a bit when Americans realize they don't get more on exchange, and even may get less eventually. My wife and I won't give up on Canada(we may eat more at Mickey D's...lol), but the gamblers especially who enjoyed the extra money gambling in Canada may stay in the US. I know in the Pittsburgh area there are 2 slots parlors an hour's drive away, and with gas at $3.00 a gallon(more up there), some folks may not make the drive up there.

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
967 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency conversion.....rising?

I sure hope they don't offer discounts. I hate how this city/province does everything they possibley can to make america happy. It just makes me bitter.. grr. Plus tourism is going to be screwed after the whole passport thing comes into play, anyways.

Hopefully in a year once I have my diplomia I won't have to work in the tourism indrustry anymore lol

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
786 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency conversion.....rising?

Sorry polywog, I figured some Canadians might not like my idea. But between the exchange thing and the passport/ID card thing next year, both will cost Americans more to go to Canada. With it just requiring a birth certificate all these years, and a nice exchange rate waiting for us, it was nice and easy ever since we first went in 1989. I can just hear the complaints now"How much for a passport??? Just to go to Canada???? What? 100 US dollars only gets me 95 Canadian dollars????" Its the fault of those canadians who live in igloos!!! In reality its the improving Canadian economy( at least the Canadian dollar is strengthening) and the American dollar and economy is going down the drain

Hopefully the impact on the economy in the Niagara area won't be too bad, and Americans will realize that the Canadian side of Niagara is still the better side, and still worth the price of a passport, and the unfavorable exchange rate. That's just my 2 cents(soon to be equal in US and CAN...: )

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
967 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Currency conversion.....rising?

"That's just my 2 cents(soon to be equal in US and CAN...: )" <-- hahahahahah

I swear if I have to work in reservations during the passport thing, I'm going to just die, seriously. I had a man get mad at me once because I told him he needed a birth certificate and hes like

"Why?? I just want to go to your hotel for a few days!!"

"Well sir, you're still entering into a different country so you need the correct documentation"

"Why??!! Don't you have like a seperate enterance?"

".. to the hotel?"

"yes"

"..... a seperate border crossing...to the hotel.....?"

"YES!!"

"Uhm.. no.."

"Why not? I don't have a birth certificate!!!!"

*eye roll*

Buffalo
Level Contributor
563 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Currency conversion.....rising?

this passport thing is a bunch of garbage, if you ask me, its an infringement on my rights as a citizen of a city and state that borders another country. anybody who lives in southern ontario and western new york know very well that both of our economies depend on each other and as soon as this bull goes down, theres going to be some very mad people and some very damaged economies. good thing the gallerias doing its expansion now cause god knows whats going to happen when every man women and child has to buy a passport to cross a border that once could be crossed with the question "what's your citizenship." this is just another example of bush and his austin/texas gang's incompitence.

PA
Level Contributor
134 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Currency conversion.....rising?

DannyV- hopefully only another 2.5 years of ignorance- let's just pray Jeb doesn't try to become pres!!!!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
786 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Currency conversion.....rising?

danny.hopefully the government goes the way of the ID cards. That seems like it would be cheaper and the cards would be valid longer. Its gonna be chaos at the borders when this all goes down

Prez. W is gonna make it tough for AMERICANS to get back INTO THE US!!!!

All the while thousands of Mexicans are ILLEGALLY coming over the borders. I think he needs to worry about our southern border and leave the northern one just as it is.

polywog, nice story. i guess that man was not the sharpest pencil in the bag

It must take a lot of patience to put up with stuff like that