We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short stop over at Niagara Falls

Which Niagara Falls hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Short stop over at Niagara Falls

Hi there

We are planning to travel between Toronto and Chicago by train around Easter 2013. As we are on a tight schedule, I was thinking of squeezing in a short stopover at the Niagara Falls as the train will be passing there. However, as we need to catch a connecting train to Chicago at Buffalo, we only have 2 hrs at Niagara Falls (from 10:34am to 12:35pm at the AMTRAK station). Apparently the actual falls are only 15mins by cab. Assuming this is correct, is there a long wait getting in there. What is the minimum amount of time we should calculate with? Alternatively we could spend a bit longer there as the night train to Chicago does not leave Buffalo before 11:59pm. However, there is no train to Buffalo after 12:35. Is there another quick and efficient way from Niagara Falls to Buffalo in the afternoon or evening? Thanks Peter

New York
Level Contributor
2,656 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short stop over at Niagara Falls

Hello,

If you just want to hop out of the train, look at the falls just for the heck of being able to say "I have been there" you can do it. Is it enjoyable? No.

You can spend easily a whole afternoon at the Niagra falls. Since you are there you DO want to go over to the canadian side and look at them from over there. The view is much, much nicer from over there!

It also would be nice to go up the big tower ( can't recall the name, but there is only one, which makes it easy) for the overlook of the falls. You have a fantastic view over the whole horseshoe from up there.

Not to mention the boatride "into" the falls or checking out the stores and all the fun shops they have there.

Two hours is awfully tight in my opinion.

Undine

New York
Level Contributor
2,656 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short stop over at Niagara Falls

Also keep in mind you will be spending time driving forth and back with the taxi, wait in line and deal with canadian immigration and on the way back you wait in line again and now you have to deal with US immigrations. Could be REAL busy over Easter, so your two hours will go by VERY quickly.

Hua Hin, Thailand
Level Contributor
880 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short stop over at Niagara Falls

My experience: Within 2 hours you only see a little bit of the area there.

And as already said, the view from the Canadian side is much, much more interesting. To get a short impression form the american side you can take a cab make a ride around...and thats it.

Passing to the canadian side with 2 immigration-controls within 2 hours, impossible. I am sure you will miss your train.

4. Re: Short stop over at Niagara Falls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, December 17, 2013